Randy***** CellTech
Randy***** CellTech, Cell Phone Technician
Experience:  Cell Phone Expert
62741268

Is there a way to restore a corrupted iPhone backup file? I

Is there a way to restore a corrupted iPhone backup file? I got a new iphone 4Gs and itunes won't restore my latest backup and gave me an error message saying: "iTunes can't restore the backup because it was corrupt or is not compatible with the iphone being synced." My last iphone was an iPhone 4Gs 16G and the new one is a 32G unlocked.
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  Randy***** CellTech replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Follow these steps to restore your device:

1. Verify that you are using the latest version of iTunes before attempting to update.
  2. Connect your device to your computer.
  3. Select your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch when it appears in iTunes under Devices.
  4. Select the Summary tab.
  5. Select the Restore option.
  6. When prompted to back up your settings before restoring, select the Back Up option (see in the image below). If you have just backed up the device, it is not necessary to create another.
    Prompt text: "Do you want to back up the settings for the iPod before restoring the sofware?"
  7. Select the Restore option when iTunes prompts you (as long as you've backed up, you should not have to worry about restoring your iOS device).
    Prompt text: "Are you sure you want to restore the iPod to its factory settings? All of your mnedia and other date will be erased."
  8. When the restore process has completed, the device restarts and displays the Apple logo while starting up:
    Prompt text: "Your iPod has been successfully restored to factory settings, and is restarting. Please leave your iPod connected. It will appear in the iTunes window after it restarts."
    After a restore, the iOS device displays the "Connect to iTunes" screen. For updating to iOS 5 or later, follow the steps in the iOS Setup Assistant. For earlier versions of iOS, keep your device connected until the "Connect to iTunes" screen goes away or you see "iPhone is activated."
  9. Then Connect your iPhone to your computer, from the itunes menu you will see your iPhone on the left hand side

10. Right-click (or Control-click) your iPhone and choose Restore from Backup

11. Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi..thank you for helping me with this, I tried, but it still won't let me to restore my iphone from the backup I'd like to use..(still showing the same message.) I think the backup file may be corrupted. So I'm wondering if there's a way to restore/repair the corrupted backup files?

Thanks!
I hope everything is going well with your iPhone, let me know if I can be of any assistance

I will be glad to answer any follow up questions you may have.
It has been a pleasure to work with you. Thank you very much !