Kriptokrit
Kriptokrit, Cell Phone Tech.
Experience:  Over 6 years of experience in Electronics support service
63849745

My Tracfone says Unregistered SIM

My Tracfone is saying "Unregistered SIM". I had contacted the web page for help and went through the procedure they said about entering a new code and according to that procedure everything should be all right, but when I try making outgoing calls, I get the "Emergency Calls Only" message. What do I need to do. If I need a new SIM card, I have one here that I ordered about a year ago and never used. I also have a new phone that I could activate if needed.

Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  Kriptokrit replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer!

"Unregistered SIM" message appears because your phone has not yet been activated. Disregard this message. It will disappear once your phone is active. If you passed the procedure for activation, please note that TracFone activation process could take anywhere from a few minutes to 24 hours. So, you need to wait minimum 24 hours for your phone/SIM to be activated. If passed more than 24 hours you have to contact 1-800-867-7183, where one of Tracfone customer service representatives will activate your phone and register your SIM card.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have had this phone for a couple of years and it worked fine, so It already should be active. It is not a new phone to be activated. I would gladly ignore the message if the phone worked, but when I try to call someone I get the message "Emergency Calls Only", so apparently something is still not working. Thus I cannot really say your answer has addressed my problem of why I cannot make outgoing calls (or I assume also receive incoming calls). My own hunch is that the SIM card has expired or is no longer working and I need to contact Tracfone about getting a new one. That happened once to me. Can you help me with what I need to do other than say to call tracfone in 24 hours?

You hadn't mention that your phone is a couple years old, so I thought that phone is brand new, still inactive.

You are right, your SIM card is probably expired. If you didn't add airtime in the expected time, TracFone will deactivate your number. You need to add airtime and your phone will be re-activated. If you keep your phone inactive for one month, TracFone will deactivate your number and you will lose your number permanently.

Solution is to add airtime in next few days and number will be re-activated.

Kriptokrit, Cell Phone Tech.
Experience: Over 6 years of experience in Electronics support service