Eric, Android Expert
Experience:  3 Years as an Android Developer, Complete detailed knowlege of all Android Devices and the OS itself
57442719

i HAVE SAMSUNG GALAXY S 2. flight mode cannot be turned off

i HAVE SAMSUNG GALAXY S 2. ANDROID VERSION 2.3.3. BUILD NUMBER GINGERBREAD .XXKE4 IT IS BOUGHT IN AUSTRIA, WITH OPERATOR T-MOBILE. IT IS UNLOCKED. THERE IS A PROBLEM - FLIGHT MODE IS ALWAYS ON AND CAN NOT BE SWITCHED OFF AT ALL. DESPITE THE FACT IT IS WRITTEN IN PHONE OPTIONS IT IS OFF. BUT THE AIRPLANE SYMBOL IS ON SCREEN ALWAYS AND THERE IS NO NETWORK AT ALL. I HAVE TRIED KIES, RESTARTING PHONE,ETC, NO CHANCE.WHEN I TRY PRESSING FLIGHT MODE ON , IT FREEZES AND IS AGAIN ALWAYS ON. I HAVE NOT TRIED FACTORY RESET IN ORDER NOT TO LOSE MY DATA,CONTACTS,SOFTWARE,ETC,ETC BUT IT RATHER NOT HELP. mAYBE UPGRADE BUT I DONOT KNOW AT ALL HOW. I NEED DETAILS HELP.PLEASE RESPOND SOON!!
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

Hi and thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions.

Ok, I know this is not going to be what you wanted to hear, but the truth none the less, so its what I can give you.

You will need to reset it, as it seems that the radio is corrupt. Since the radio is at a system level, you do not have access to go in and clear it out yourself and only with a reset can you do that.

However, a reset isn't as bad as it seems. As long as you have a Google account synced to your device your contacts, calendar, etc., will be re-synced to the device after you run the initial setup again as long as you sign in with the same Google/Gmail account.

Any apps you have paid for, you can get back after you reset the device by opening the Market, pressing Menu on the phone and choosing "My Apps".

As far as any data that is stored on the SD Card(images, music, etc.), it will not be erased. Only the phones internal memory is formatted.

If you have any further questions or this solution does not resolve the issue, please feel free to let me know...

Please press the Accept Button if I have helped you today so I am credited for my time assisting you. Pressing Accept does not cost you anymore, and only by you pressing accept am I compensated. Please don't leave negative feedback, If something isn't working let me know and I will continue working with you to resolve it! Positive Feedback and Bonuses are not expected, but are always appreciated!

Visit HelpWithAndroid.com and bookmark the page so you can get me directly with any questions in the future.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
unfortunately this did not help. there is an error message processing fail. it could not be reset. it asks for some password XXXXX samsung account. I am afraid I do not have such. I have google account. nothing is resolved.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

Its ok, we can force the reset...

1. Remove the battery.
  2. Replace the battery but do not power the device on.
  3. Hold down the Volume Down and Volume UP buttons then press the Power button. Hold the Power button until you see the Samsung Logo and then release it without releasing the Volume buttons.
  4. Your phone will boot into hboot mode.
  5. Follow the instructions on screen to navigate through the options.
  6. Choose Wipe Data / Factory Reset
  7. Confirm your choice
  8. After it completes, choose reboot system now

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no, this did not help either. I have tried it lots of times. there is no menu or option to reset.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

What do you see on the screen when you try and boot it into the recovery menu?

Please use the same instructions I gave you, but for step three, use the Volume Up button only. The issue is that there are 6 different models of the Galaxy S2 and some have a different method.

Here is what you should be seeing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v44eTrHeA3k

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have done all perfectly as you told me and watched the video but there is no chance to reset or enter recovery tools. it starts absolutely normally as every time. I have tried really lots of times precisely the steps but nothing happened. there is always a yellow exclamation mark at the beginning and then every thing is just as normal. please tell another way to reset or to upgrade.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I ve tried all variants u told but no chance to reset or enter recovery menu.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

Here is another variation for you to try: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksDiaKE6umk

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes i have made the reset with last option but unfortunately that did not solve the original problem at all. problem with flight mode on persists again and i am not able to make or receive calls. i do not have network.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please read problem as described at.beginning. We should think of another way to fix it.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

If you have done a complete reset through the Recovery menu and the problem persists then it is not software/OS related. If this is the case then the radio on the device has become corrupt or defective and will not enable itself to be turned on. There is nothing we can do unfortunately, if its hardware and I can promise that if you did the reset and its not working then it is hardware failure.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh thats awful. is upgrade helpful in this case ? or some subsidiary application?or could samsung exchange my phone but i do not keep guarantee. Can hardware be repaired somewhwre in a service
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

I sure wish there was a way to fix that with a software update! Thats what the reset does though, it resets the firmware, including the software radio file. Since we can rule out software as the culprit, then an OS update wouldn't fix it.

My only suggestion is you contact where you purchased it as soon as possible and request an exchange based on hardware failure and you should be able to get one for free or at a minimum for less than it would cost to send it off to Samsung.

Eric, Android Expert
Experience: 3 Years as an Android Developer, Complete detailed knowlege of all Android Devices and the OS itself