webpagesby22
webpagesby22, Technician
Experience:  I have over four years of experience solving problems with mobile devices
61542057

I keep getting a message on my iphone saying Server Error.

Customer Question

I keep getting a message on my iphone saying Server Error. Contact your server administrator
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 4 years ago.

Techie_Ben :

Thank you for the question. Can you please tell me which email you are using?

JACUSTOMER-4c1hbmiq- :

hotmail.com

JACUSTOMER-4c1hbmiq- :

via exchange setup

Techie_Ben :

I see

Techie_Ben :

Was this working in the past?

JACUSTOMER-4c1hbmiq- :

yes

Techie_Ben :

Is this a corporate email server?

JACUSTOMER-4c1hbmiq- :

no just the public m.hotmail.com exchange access

Techie_Ben :

Have you set up email access through Mail Settings -> "Windows Live Hotmail"?

JACUSTOMER-4c1hbmiq- :

yes the same error occurs if adds fine and then on entering the inbox gives the connection error

Techie_Ben :

I assume you're able to log in to the account through hotmail.com on your PC?

JACUSTOMER-4c1hbmiq- :

yes works fine

Techie_Ben :

What is the error you get when trying to add the account?

JACUSTOMER-4c1hbmiq- :

no lets me add the account fine, just when going into the inbox get the error conenction to the server failed

Techie_Ben :

Interesting..I just added my Hotmail account that I don't often use to my iPhone and I can check the inbox without this problem.

Techie_Ben :

Did you change any settings on the account itself recently?

Techie_Ben :

Or perhaps the password?

JACUSTOMER-4c1hbmiq- :

no i can add a test account with the same settings fine, just my main hotmail account is having these issues

Techie_Ben :

Sorry, I am going to opt out and allow another expert to assist. It looks like this is a somewhat common problem when using Hotmail with an iOS5 device.

Techie_Ben :

It doesn't seem to have been solved by any I've seen out on forums

Expert:  webpagesby22 replied 4 years ago.

Have you tried these steps to set it up?

Tap on Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Add Account.. > Microsoft Exchange

Then enter your complete Hotmail ID in both Email andUsername fields. Enter your password in Password field. In the Description field, enter some description, here I have entered as Hotmail or whatever relevant name you want.

Leave the Domain field blank. It’ll start verifying and may take a few seconds before get the next screen (center) as shown below with the Server field.

In Server field, enter m.hotmail.com and tap Next. If everything is OK you’ll get the next screen from where you can choose Mail,Contacts , Calendars to Sync.

Tap Save.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I have tried all that several times, and it still comes back unable to connect to server, contact your systems administrator

Are you running IOS5? If so you can use these directions?

To add your Hotmail account, simply go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Add Account > Windows Live Hotmail. From there, add your Hotmail email address as well as your password, select what info you want to sync (emails, contacts, calendars)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I am running is05, and I can do all that but it still comes back with the same message
Have you tried restoring the software on your phone?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How do I do that?
Follow these steps to restore your device:

Verify that you are using the latest version of iTunes before attempting to update.
Connect your device to your computer.
Select your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch when it appears in iTunes under Devices.
Select the Summary tab.
Select the Restore option.
When prompted to back up your settings before restoring, select the Back Up option (see in the image below). If you have just backed up the device, it is not necessary to create another.

Select the Restore option when iTunes prompts you (as long as you've backed up, you should not have to worry about restoring your iOS device).

When the restore process has completed, the device restarts and displays the Apple logo while starting up:

After a restore, the iOS device displays the "Connect to iTunes" screen. For updating to iOS 5 or later, follow the steps in the iOS Setup Assistant. For earlier versions of iOS, keep your device connected until the "Connect to iTunes" screen goes away or you see "iPhone is activated."

The final step is to restore your device from a previous backup.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have had my iphone restored and it still comes up with the message

Have you checked with with you carrier to make sure that you data plan is correct?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am waiting for them to get back in touch with me, but I can only contact them through Hotmail threads
Have you taken it to the apple store to see if they give you another device and see if that issue happens to the new device
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No I've not been to the Apple Store, as I don't have one close to me
You should be able to call this number for help 1-800-694-7466) and they can send you a replacement device