Brandon M.
Brandon M., Systems Admin
Experience:  Work with Blackberries, iPhones and Android devices daily for use with Exchange
12024030

When I try to activate my gophone pay as you go card, I get

When I try to activate my gophone pay as you go card, I get an "emergency only" error message and cannot dial the number needed to activate the card. I have an LG Neon GT 365 phone. What do I need to do to activate service?
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 4 years ago.

BeBoo :

Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer, a paid expert support site. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be glad to assist you with your issue.

BeBoo :

This typically means that you do not have coverage where you are located.

BeBoo :

The "emergency only' means you can make emergency calls but it will use another carrier's network to complete the call.

Customer:

I currently do not have cell service. I bought a "Gophone Pay As You Go" card so I could get service, but my phone won't even let me dial the number I need to activate the card. Is there anything I can do to bypass the "emergency only" alert so I can dial the number needed to activate the card? I am pretty sure the reason I am getting the "emergency only" alert is because I currently don't have service, not because I am in an area with no coverage.

BeBoo :

You need to be in an area with coverage, then you can call the number to activate the card.

Customer:

I have tried calling from several different locations - all locations I have made calls from before - an it still isn't working. Thanks for trying to help. Do you have any other ideas?

BeBoo :

Have you used this specific phone before?

BeBoo :

Or is the phone new?

Customer:

Yes, but I've never tried using a "Gophone" card before on this phone.

BeBoo :

Oh, it's not a GoPhone? You can't just use any phone with a GoPhone card. You need a GoPhone phone.

Customer:

OK. I made a mistake. This is my sister's phone and apparently she has used a "Gophone" card on this phone before and never had a problem until now.

BeBoo :

Hrm, hold on, does it look like the card in the upper right of this?

Customer:

Kind of. The front of the card has a yellowish background and blue behind the "Go." The back side of the card is all print and at the bottom there is a gray box you scratch off to reveal the pin number. There is no separate card like the one in the upper right of that picture.

BeBoo :

Ah, ok. Now I am understanding - You need to get a new SIM for that phone. The SIM that your sister used, when she canceled it, the SIM is rendered useless. You need to get a card similar to the one in the upper right of that picture.

BeBoo :

You can go to any AT&T store and tell them you need a "GoPhone SIM Card"

BeBoo :

They can also get you activated there in the store and help you with the card you have

Customer:

OK. Thanks for your help. We'll go to AT&T tomorrow