derrickonline
derrickonline, Information Technology Manager
Experience:  15 years of information technology experience, including mobile computing devices.
22792886

I cant send or rreceive text messages on my LG Ally. I keep

I can't send or rreceive text messages on my LG Ally. I keep getting 2 error messages: that my storage space is low ( it is not low now and never was low ) and that my text meesaging storage is full ( I don't think it was full but I went ahead and deleted about 80% of it ) -- i already pulled the battery, ran the battery down to zero and recharged. Question: what can I do to to restore the text message functions?
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  derrickonline replied 2 years ago.
I'd be more than happy to assist you. I understand you deleted 80% of your text messages, but the ones that are problematic are the ones that have photos attached. If they're just regular old text messages, those take VERY little space. The question is the 20% that you didn't delete, do they have a lot of photos?

The second issue is maybe it's not specifically related to your text at all but rather your phone's storage as a whole.

To view your storage please do the following:

1. Go to the Home screen.

2. Select the Menu key.

3. Select Settings.

4. Select SD card & phone storage.

5. At the top, under SD card, you will find the Total space and Available space on your SD card. At the bottom, under Internal phone storage, you will see the Available space left for installing your Android applications.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

just asked follow up question -- did you receive it? This is URGENT.

I do not see a follow-up question. I told you how to check your storage on your phone, the next thing I got from you was "just asked a follow up question did you get it".

PLease repost your follow-up questions
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
there are no photos stored in text: there is ample storage, which I had already checked: any other ideas? thank you.
Unfortunately this is a common issue with this phone. You state there's ample storage, but I recall this phone having VERY little internal memory.

I know you say it has AMPLE storage, but the memory in question here is most likely your Internall memory, so tell me how much free internal memory you see.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
11.32 MB
Exactly what I suspected. 11.32MB is nothing! Those LG Allys start alerting you about memory being full once you're under 15MB if I'm not mistaken.

Just so you know 11.32MB is like having 2 fairly large photos on your phone. It's nothing. If it was 11.32GB that would be plenty.

Unfortunately that phone was poorly designed. Internal memory should have several gigs. Instead LG went the cheap route and provided very little internal storage.

The problem is this internal storage is where your browser saves data, and other data (i.e. GMail, etc). With the updated of Android 2.1 I believe you have an option to move applications to the SD card.

Please confirm your version of Android.

Menu
Settings
About Phone
Android version.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i have 2.2.2
Excellent.

You still may run into this problem down the road as you update apps and they default to the INTERNAL memory instead of SD card. But the good news is most apps support MOVE TO SD card. This frees your internal memory.

MENU
SETTINGS
APPLICATIONS
MANAGE APPLICATIONS
Click each application ---> MOVE TO SD

**Not all apps can be moved to SD card, but most should be able to****

I would do ever app possible. Once you've done a bunch you'll see that Internal memory increase in available size, and the memory full errors will stop, and texts will continue/resume coming in.

If I was able to assist you, please click ACCEPT. Positive feedback is also appreciated. If you still need assistance, please come back and ask away!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
on some of the apps, when i press the move to sd card ( if it has a dark background ) nothing happens -- is there a preliminary step to take on some of the apps -- like first press " force stop"?
If it's grayed out, that means it's not able to be moved to the SD card. That means move to the next app.

There is no preliminary step necessary.

Also make sure you actually have an SD card installed in the phone.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i now have moved everything i can to the sd card but i only have 15.32 MB storage available -- the big item is email at 51+ MB but the phone does not allow that to move to sd card. Question: (for example ) on " Android Market " the ap info says " storage " then " total 7.79 MB " and " application 7.79MB " and " Data 8.00 KB." . It does not allow move to sd card. Does this mean this ap takes up 7.79MB? If yes, do i need it? Or is that the maximum, but i only have 8.00 KB on the ap? Please advise.
1. Welcome to the world of LG poorly designed phones. It won't take you long to blow through 15.32MB again. Moving apps to SD didn't have a dramatic effect. But you can now send/receive texts again. Until that hits 14.99MB or lower. Then we're back to square one.

2. Email takes plenty of space, but unfortunately, you probably need that. You also can't move it to SD card.

I know how ridiculous this is. But it's really a matter of how your phone was designed. I tend to recommend Motorola and Samsung phones when it comes to Android. They make high quality phones.

Here are your options

1. Wipe the phone to factory defaults. And slowly let the phone accumulate data again until it hits the max. This stinks because you lose everything and it's like you just bought phone from the store. - Not recommended.

2. Get a new phone - highly recommended.

3. If none of the above options are feasible. You can "hack" the phone. Root it, and install a different ROM which will force the phone to use SD as primary means of storage. This would resolve your issues. BUUUUT. This isn't easy, one wrong move and you'll be stuck with a brick (a phone that serves no other purose than a paper weight). I suggest you get your best geeky IT friend, or your friends geeky IT kid to do this work for you. It's not for the faint of heard. But if you're good with following directions, you're willing to take risks. Search LG ALLY Roms on Google.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
doi need all the aps like " Android Market? " ...do they take up a lot of space? u did not answer that part of my last question...txs
Yes, you absolutely need Android Market. That's part of the operating system. You won't be able to uninstall core apps anyway. You'll only be able to uninstall 3rd party apps which you actualy installed your sell from the market.

Hope that makes ense.
Experience: 15 years of information technology experience, including mobile computing devices.