MobileDeviceXpert
MobileDeviceXpert, Mobile Engineer III
Experience:  3+ years Exp. BlackBerry Certified. BCSA, BCSS, BCSSS.

How can i stop receiving emails on my Blackberry 9300 when

How can i stop receiving emails on my Blackberry 9300 when I'm at my desk top? I only want to get the emails when I'm not in the office. Thank you.
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  MobileDeviceXpert replied 2 years ago.

MobilityExpert :

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Stefan. I will be happy to answer your question.

MobilityExpert :

There are two ways accomplish depending on what server solution you are provisioned. BES or BIS.

MobilityExpert :

If you are using a corporate BlackBerry then you can stop redirection with two methods. You can either stop redirection via the BlackBerry Desktop Manager by cradling your BlackBerry and setting the property in the DTM settings to not redirect mail while device is cradled.

MobilityExpert :

The other method to stop mail to your BlackBerry which is set on the BlackBerry is set in the inbox view on the BB by going to Options / Email Preferences and unchecking the option to "Send Email to Handheld"

MobilityExpert :

Both these methods are for BlackBerry devices that are connected to a BES for Corporate use.

MobilityExpert :

There is another method that works for both BIS which is consumer BlackBerry devices and BES by going to your BB setup icon and go to mail account setup and login in to your mail settings and set the filter to redirect mail when rule does not apply to no from yes

MobilityExpert :

All three methods allow the BB device user to temp stop email redirection to their device.

MobilityExpert :

Of the 3 options the most convenient is the first one while cradled to DTM and set property to not redirect to BB. This requires the BlackBerry to be connected to a BES.

MobilityExpert :

That is the answer to your question. If you have further questions, I am more than happy to assist to answer them. Otherwise, please return to accept.

MobilityExpert :

Thanks, Stefan

Customer:

Thanks Stefan - more help needed. I'm on BIS. When I got to set up and the email accounts I don't see a filter? I've got a Curve 9300.

MobilityExpert :

Hi

MobilityExpert :

Sorry for the delay

MobilityExpert :

In Setup, if you see your email accounts, goto the account you want to filter

MobilityExpert :

Then

MobilityExpert :

Scratch that - you have the 9300 - in the view where it shows your accounts, hit the BB propery button

MobilityExpert :

you will see the option for filters

MobilityExpert :

At the bottom of that view

MobilityExpert :

Where it says When no filters apply

MobilityExpert :

change it to "do not forward messages to the device"

MobilityExpert :

when you want no email to forward and change back when you want it to forward again

MobilityExpert :

there is another method that is less intensive that i forgot to offer

MobilityExpert :

that is in the inbox on the 9300 , go to options, mail preferences, then drop the email address in the drop down field to the one you want stop redirection, if the field is available to not send email to device, then uncheck

MobilityExpert :

however, that is usually only available to BES devices

MobilityExpert :

You also can filter on the device from the same inbox, options, filters

MobilityExpert :

uncheck box at the top

MobilityExpert :

those are the options for you

MobilityExpert :

the two that are for sure are since you have BIS, are the filter options

MobilityExpert :

set at the inbox options on the device or setup email accounts and then filters on the BIS side

MobilityExpert :

Try the filter option first on the 9300 by going to inbox, then hit property button, then options, then filters, uncheck box at top

MobilityExpert :

let me know if that clarifies this for you. once set, it will stop mail to the 9300 till you reverse the steps

MobilityExpert :

Once set, please test this by sending yourself an email. It should not be received on the BlackBerry.

MobilityExpert :

Note - During the time you have set email to not redirect, keep in mind, once you set to redirect, those email that were excluded will still be excluded but new emails will redirect to the BlackBerry

MobilityExpert :

This should answer your on how to stop emails from coming to your BlackBerry while in the office, If you further question, feel free to ask and I am happy to address them. If the answer addresses your question, please remember to accept before leaving the chat. Positive feedback is always appreciated. Please be sure I have satisfied your question prior to clicking accept. Thank you for your patience and this should help resolve your issue.

Thanks for using JustAnswer. - Stefan

Reply to chat if you have further questions - i will be here.

MobilityExpert : I have provided the answer but it appears you are stuck in chat mode. I will switch to Q and A mode and repost.
MobileDeviceXpert, Mobile Engineer III
Experience: 3+ years Exp. BlackBerry Certified. BCSA, BCSS, BCSSS.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Hi. Here is how you stop email from redirecting to your 9300 on the the device

Goto inbox, then tap you BlackBerry button
Scroll to Options, open
Goto Filters
Uncheck box at the top to forward if no filters apply.
Save
Exit.

This can be accomplished on the BIS side by going to setup icon, email accounts, login if prompted. Once you are in email accounts and you see the account or accounts, then hit the BlackBerry button again and click filters and scroll to bottom and change setting to not forward if no filters apply. Save and exit.

Try the inbox option first. Send a test. It should not forward.

To reverse. Just recheck the box or change the setting back to forward if not filters apply.

I hope this resolves this question but if you have further further questions, I am happy to answer them.

Thanks, Stefan
Hi -I am not sure if you received the my answer from the chat and want to verify that you were able to get the filter working, Thanks again. stefan