Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Cell Phone Engineer
Experience:  Cell Phone Repair Business Owner & CIS Degree
40218039

Having problems receiving pictures on iphone. Can get texts

Customer Question

Having problems receiving pictures on iphone. Can get texts send text but now having problems sending pictures. Use to be able to do both before
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 3 years ago.
Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer, a paid global support site.

#1 - What carrier do you have service with (AT&T, T-Mobile, or Verizon)?

#2 - What version of the iPhone do you have (2G / 3G / 3GS / 4)?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

at&t

3gs

Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 3 years ago.
Okay. Have you ever been about to send/receive picture messages? If so, when was the last time?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have been ablr\e to send and receive both text and pictures. About 6 weeks ago unable to receive pictures but can get text. Now today can not send pictures but can send text

Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 3 years ago.
Two approaches we can take. Let's take the less aggressive one first.

Go to Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings

After you do this, your iPhone will reboot.

Upon reboot, see if you send a MMS message and receive one.

Update me on the results.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have done this already several times

Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 3 years ago.
Okay, the only other option is to do a DFU Restore of your iPhone. Sounds like you have a corrpution in your iPhone firmware. The DFU restore will wipe the iPhone completely and you will need to start from scratch.

How to Perform a DFU restore (which is significantly different from a standard restore):

First, remove your SIM card. Then, with your iPhone is plugged in to your PC, hold the Home and Power until your iPhone powers down, continue holding Home and Power for a full 4 seconds.

If you are having trouble with this, please refer to the video below for assistance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofpinyGlQ8I

Release the Power while still holding the Home key until iTunes tells you the iPhone is in recovery (your iPhone screen will be black, but it is on) and then doing the restore to latest firmware.

After the restore, when prompted, do not select Restore from Backup. Select Setup Up A New iPhone.

After the restore, see if you can send a MMS and receive one.

If you can, from there, you will need to resync all your apps/music to your iPhone.

If you cannot, you have hardware failure and you will need to take your iPhone to the nearest Apple Store Genius Bar (http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/) to get it repaired/replaced.

There is no software fix or key sequence to fix a hardware issue.

Feel free to ask any questions, as I am here to assist you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
After i get away from my location and catch another wifi i can receive the pictures
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 3 years ago.
When you say "receive pictures", do you mean via MMS or email?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
mms can get email picutures
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 3 years ago.
What type of data plan do you have on AT&T? iPhone Data?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i am not sure...have the 15.00 plan is all i know
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have had the phone for 5 months no problems until 6-7 weeks ago just with receiving mms pictures. spent hours on phone with AT&T to no avail. can go to my daughters and connect to her wifi and then receive all the pictures that have been sent. wondering if it is signal in area where I am at, but strange because I could get them at this location before

Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 3 years ago.
My recommendation would be to do the DFU restore as directed above.

If you still have the same issue, you have hardware failure.

Let me know if you need further assistance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
can not be what he is saying because then 3 phones would have hardware failure
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 3 years ago.
You failed to disclose that you had other devices with the same issue.

What is your signal strength when you are in the area that you cannot send mms?

You need at least 2-3 bars of strong service and "3G" (not EDGE) to send a mms.