Eric, Android Expert
Experience:  3 Years as an Android Developer, Complete detailed knowlege of all Android Devices and the OS itself

I am concerned that my Samsung mobile phone has been hacked

I am concerned that my Samsung mobile phone has been hacked and my calls are being eavesdropped on. I had an attempted break-in on an afternoon at the exact time when I had stated on the cell phone (to a family member) that I would be at an event a few hours earlier. I read online that reinstalling the operating system is a solution to stop the eavesdropping. Please let me know if you concur that this is a true solution. If so, I assume that I should take it to the AT&T store (where I bought it and have them reinstall the operating system. Please let me know ASAP. I am concerned that reinstalling the operating system may not be a solution depending on the way in which my phone is being hacked. Is replacing the phone a better solution? Can I keep the same phone number? HELP!
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

Eric :

Hi and thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions.

Eric :

First off, I need to know what make and model phone you are using... so I can give you the best advice/answer

Customer:

I knew you were going to ask that! I took out the battery to find the model number but the print is so small. It is a flip-phone. I believe it says "SGH-A237".

Eric :

Okay, give me one second then ;]

Customer:

Oh yeah.....Its a Samsung!

Eric :

I got it lol.

Eric :

While I am pulling up some info, let me give you some.

Eric :

About your phone being "hacked".

Eric :

Did somone have your phone in their posession for 30+ minutes, without you watching? Someone you dont trust.

Customer:

Possibly.....but I'm not sure......possibly a former staff member?

Eric :

If not, then you dont have anything to worry about first off. Forget what you see on TV, you cannot just pick someone and "hack" their phone to spy on it. You need to buy expensive software, and install in on the phone. Even when you do that, it only works half the time.

Eric :

Its called SpyWare, and its IS removable by reformatting the phone

Eric :

we can do this though, you dont need to take it in.

Eric :

If you feel that someone has installed spyware on the phone, I can instruct you on how to remove it by resetting the phone. However you will lose all data thats on the device.

Customer:

I have heard static and weird clicking on the line. Also, my home was burglarized but my phone wasn't taken.

Eric :

The static, and clicking, wouldnt occur due to someone having spyware on the phone.

Customer:

Can you give me the instructions and I'll write them down and then I'll write down all the addresses in my phone book first.

Eric :

Thats more than likely just the phone getting older, and making noises. I promise, the noises themselves are not due to spying

Customer:

How else might someone eavesdrop and how can I stop it?

Eric :

The ONLY way, and I tell you this as a mobile OS Developer(I work on Android), that someone can do this, is to have your phone in their possession for an extended period of time to install software and set it up.

Customer:

Maybe they left some type of bugging device in my apt. when they burglarized it? The person has attempted to come back several times since then?

Eric :

I can give you the instructions if you want, to reset the phone. It wont delete the contacts, as they will still be stored on the sim card.

Customer:

What if I get a new phone? Will this stop the problem? Or will it continue if they are using some other technology to eavesdrop?

Customer:

A lot of my contacts aren't on my SIM card. They are on my phone b/c I ran out of room on the SIM card.

Eric :

If you get a new phone, i recommend an Android as there is NOT any spyware that runs on Android. However, if they are watching your home thats a different story.

Eric :

Ok, well here is the instructions.

Eric :
  • While in standby mode, press the right soft key for Menu

• Select Settings (9)

• Select Reset Settings (9)

• Highlight, using the navigation keys, any of the following:

• All: Sound, Display and Phone settings will be returned to default values

• Sound Settings: only sound settings will be returned to default values

• Display Settings: only display settings will be returned to default values

• Phone Settings: only phone settings will be returned to default values

• Press thekey to check the box(es) of Reset Settings

• Press the left soft key for Reset

• Press the left soft key for Yes

• Enter the password, using the keypad, default password XXXXX “0000”

• Press the left soft key for OK to reset the phone's settings to the factory defaults
  • Eric :

You can copy and paste those into an email and mail yourself, or you can just come back to this page later and review it

Customer:

What do you mean "if they are watching my home that's a different story." Please explain.

Eric :

You said someone may be watching your home... that they have come back a few times.

Customer:

Yes.....how does this change the issue and/or your response......

Eric :

That doesnt change my response, as I am here to give you help with your phone troubles.

Customer:

I thought that you were implying that there was a different way they could be eavesdropping on my calls since they have been watching my house or coming back several times.....

Eric :

No, there is no other way. Sorry for the confusion ;]

Customer:

What about the call encryption option to keep my calls private? I saw some info. about that online

Customer:

Someone told me that just by knowing your phone number and name that there is a way for them to tap into your calls......

Eric :

It wont matter, the call encryption option is more of a "safety blanket" to make people feel safer. NO ONE can listen to your calls, unless they have installed the spyware on your phone.

Eric :

NO.... Absolutely NOT.

Eric :

They CANNOT "hack" your phone just by knowing your name and number.

Eric :

and cannot "tap" them either.

Eric :

I promise you that.

Eric :

Is there anything else I can help you with? The instructions are above in the chat to reset the phone, and I will link you to your manual online as well.

Customer:

What about this detracktor.com option of putting your phone in a casing that prevents someone from tracking where you are when your phone is on?

Eric :

Thats a fraud. And again... unless you give someone your phone to setup sftware on, there is NO WAY they can use it.

Customer:

Given the break-ins and attempts, I'm concerned that someone is using my phone to track when I am home. Online they say you should take the battery out to prevent that from happening....

Eric :

If you reset your phone, then IF... and its a big IF... someone is using yoru phone, this will solve it.

Eric :

I can tell you this. I work with some of the most advanced technology in the world when it comes to phones, and you dont have anything to worry about.

Customer:

Gotcha! This is so upsetting! I appreciate your help!

Eric :

No problem.

Eric :

Just reset the phone, and you will be fine!

Customer:

Last question coming....

Eric :

okay

Customer:

I am concerned that a private investigator may be the one coming back......

Eric :

A private investigator would lose their license and be arrested if they were doing this.

Eric :

Your best choice is to call the police, if you think its happening. But reset the phone.

Customer:

On a private investigator's website, he said that you should only have confidential calls on a prepaid cell phone b/c PIs know how to eavesdrop on calls.....

Eric :

Thats also, a fraudulent claim.

Eric :

I promise you.

Customer:

Hmmmmm......made me very nervous when I read that....

Eric :

There is no difference between a prepaid phone, and a regular cell phone.

Eric :

So it wouldnt make a difference.

Eric :

I promise you!

Customer:

The implication was that they wouldn't know your number and your name wouldn't be connected to the phone....

Eric :

Still doesnt matter ;] NO ONE, can listen to your phone calls.

Eric :

If you are truly worried, and want to feel safer, get an Android phone.

Eric :

or an iPhone.

Eric :

the spyware people can buy, wont run on an Android or iPhone

Customer:

Folks told me that only a Blackberry's calls were secure and not an IPhone

Eric :

Even though the companies that sell it, say it works... it doesnt. Its a pretty well known scam.

Customer:

What other well know scams should I be aware of?

Eric :

"Folks" talk alot. A lot of the time, they dont know what theyre talking about. I am telling you, as a Developer for the largest mobile operating system in the world.. that unless you let someone have your phone for 30+ minutes AND they had it with their computer to install the software on it, you are NOT being spied on through the phone.

Customer:

Gotcha! Please remember to give me the link to my manual. You've been very helpful.

Eric :

If you keep in your mind that your phone cannot be "tapped" or "monitored", then you will know whats a scam and whats not.

Eric :

http://goo.gl/kjTRC the manual

Eric :

http://bit.ly/oZvank another link just in case.

Customer:

Thank you very much!

Eric :

No problem, have a great day!

Eric :

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. If not and I have helped you today Please press the Accept Button so I am credited for my time Assisting you! Please don't leave negative feedback, If something isn't working let me know and I will continue working with you to resolve it!

Positive Feedback & Bonuses are not necessary but ALWAYS appreciated!!

Click here and BOOKMARK the page to get me directly with ANY questions in the future! HelpWithAndroid.com

Customer:

Will do! You are great!

Eric, Android Expert
    Experience: 3 Years as an Android Developer, Complete detailed knowlege of all Android Devices and the OS itself