Eric, Android Expert
Experience:  3 Years as an Android Developer, Complete detailed knowlege of all Android Devices and the OS itself
57442719

MY PHONE KEEPS SAYING AUTHENTICATION ERROR . WILL NOT ACCEPT

Customer Question

MY PHONE KEEPS SAYING AUTHENTICATION ERROR . WILL NOT ACCEPT MY PASSWORD XXXXX I CAN GET TO MY GMAIL ON MY COMPUTER
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

Hi and thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is Eric and I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Can you tell me more about what your doing when this error occurs? Are you trying to unlock the phone, sign into m.gmail.com, add the account, etc?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I AM SIMPLY HITTING MY GMAIL APP. IT SAYS INCORRECT PASSWORD.
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

Okay, which make and model Android phone are you using?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
THE INSPIRE 4G
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

Ok, can you go into the settings and tell me if you see this account listed.

1. Go to your Home Screen
  2. Press the Menu Button
  3. Choose Settings
  4. Choose Accounts & Sync
  5. Look for that Gmail/Google Account in the list.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ACCOUNT SAYS GOOGLE AND SHOWS MY GMAIL ADDRESS GREEN SHOWING AS IF ON
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

Is it the only Google Account in the list?

I need to know, because if it is we cant remove it without resetting the phone because it would be the main account.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
UNDER GOOGLE STOCK AND WEATHER IS ALL WHEN IT ASKS TO SYNCHRONIZE IT SAYS EXPERIENCING PROBLEMS
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

Ok

Please open your settings and choose "Applications". Then choose "Manage Applications". Then look for the Gmail app. Tap on it and when the screen opens choose to "Clear Data". Once you do this, reload the Gmail App.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
HOW DO YOU RELOAD GMAIL APP?
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

reload/open. Just open the Gmail app and see if its working now.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
STILL WANTS ME TO ENTER PASSWORD BUT WILL NOT TAKE IT.
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

Go to gmail.com on yoru computer and change your password. Then go back and "clear data" again on the Gmail app and then open it and sign in with the NEW password you just changed it to. That should do it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
DID NOT DO IT. WANTS ME TO KEEP TYPING IN CHARACTERS
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

I am sorry then, the only way to get the account to work again will be to factory reset the phone and enter the Gmail account when it starts up again. Resetting it will delete all data thats NOT on the SD Card. This will bring the phone back to the state it was in the first time you turned it on.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
WHAT DOES FACTORY RESET MEAN?DID NOT DO IT. WANTS ME TO KEEP TYPING IN CHARACTERS
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

Factory Reset means to restore the phone to original condition. It will delete ALL data thats on the phone, making it brand new again.

GO to Settings / Privacy / Then Factory Reset to do this. Please remember it will delete anything thats NOT on the SD card.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
IM NOT SEEING ANYTHING THAT SAYS FACTORY RESET
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

Okay, try it this way.

• From the Home Screen, press the Menu button and select Settings.
  • Select SD & phone storage.
  • Select Factory data reset.
  • Select Reset phone.
  • You will be prompted again, and select Erase everything.
  • The device will reset and restore the device to the original factory settings.