Richard S.
Richard S., Accounts and Device Specialist
Experience:  5 years working with major US carriers in billing, contracts, devices and network
46174997

In the past few days my Motorola TracFone has stopped ringing

Customer Question

In the past few days my Motorola TracFone has stopped ringing for incoming calls. For the caller they hear the phone ringing but I. as the receiver, do not hear any ringing at all. And, if the caller stays on the line, he will get my voicemail and can leave me a message (which I will receive and can respond to by using my phone). The question is, why is not my phone ringing on incoming calls? It is fully charged and seems to be fully operational otherwise. It is about 3-4 years old and gets fully charged about twice a week. My phone number is XXXXX Also, my email isXXX@XXXXXX.XXX \ Thanks for your response. If it turns out I need a new TracFone, will I be able to keep my phone number and phonebook?
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  Richard S. replied 3 years ago.

Hello and sorry for the trouble that you are having. Please try the steps below in this EXACT order.

Remove the battery and SIM (if you have on, varies by carrier) from the phone and wait 20 seconds, then, with the battery still out, plug it into your wall charger, then place the battery and SIM back in and turn the phone back on.

If it works, please click Accept as that is how I get credit. If not, let me know and we will keep working on it. Bonus NOT necessary but ALWAYS appreciated!!

PLEASE DO NOT leave Negative feedback! If you need more help PLEASE just reply to this question and I will keep working with you!
Experience: 5 years working with major US carriers in billing, contracts, devices and network
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What is the SIM, and at what point do I unplug the phone from the wall charger? Also, in my original Q. I asked if it turns out I need a new TracFone, will I be able to keep/transfer my ohone number and phonebook to the new TracFone?
The SIM card is a little white chip that usually fits under the battery , you may not have one. You will be able to transfer your phone number but depending on the model and if you have your phone book saved to a SIM card (should say Tracfone and looks like a little white memory card with metal on the bottom) you may or may not be able to transfer the phone book.

Try the battery removal and replacement first
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tried your solution and it did not work! Removed battery and SIM card, plugged in charger, replaced SIM card and battery, unplugged charger and, then, had someone try to call me. There was no ring, they got my voice mail and left message (per usual). So, nothing was resolved, same problem as originally stated. Any other suggestion or best to replace phone? Do I owe for no solution? Thanks!
Just to confirm, you can dial out and the phone works ok, but will just not ring at all for incoming calls (when called it just goes to voicemail?)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
In response to your 1:32 AM Q the answer is YES to everything.
The good news is that this is most likely just a failed or bad SIM card. The bad news is that in order to get a new one you have to call Tracfone directly at the number below and they will first try to reactivate the SIM and if that does not work they will send you a new one. Which can take a few days. I am sorry for the bad news
Phone:
800-323-2366
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your response.I'll make the call suggested. I do NOT want to sign on for the JustAnswer monthly plan but, rather, just pay for your services this one time. Can you handle that for me or is there something I need to do to be sure that happens? Thanks.

No problem and let me know what the say! There is stilla chance that the phone is going out, but if it is working for outgoing calls that chance is very slight since it is working for outgoing calls.

Did you actually Sign up for the monthly plan? If not, then just ignore the prompts and you will be fine!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sounds good! Best of luck!