MobileDeviceXpert
MobileDeviceXpert, Mobile Engineer III
Experience:  3+ years Exp. BlackBerry Certified. BCSA, BCSS, BCSSS.
60204924

1.My bb torch (9800) wont connect to my computer for me to

Customer Question

1.My bb torch (9800) wont connect to my computer for me to check app or update my phone. it keeps saying connectingand it wont read the media card keep getting fatal error msg, pls help
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  MobileDeviceXpert replied 3 years ago.

Mobile Device Expert : Hi and thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is Stefan. I'm an expert with mobile devices. My goal is to do whatever I can to answer your question.
Mobile Device Expert : The torch requires specific desktop software do to it's OS 6 code. You will need to install this in order to connect the torch to the PC.
Mobile Device Expert : What version of desktop manager are you using?
Mobile Device Expert : How are you connecting. What application are you using once Torch is connected to update the phone or read the media card?
Mobile Device Expert : You will need to download it from here if not using this already.
Mobile Device Expert : https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/Downloads/contactFormPreload.do?code=A8BAA56554F96369AB93E4F3BB068C22&dl=A2C0D61EB187AB3AFD247A852FAD3647
Mobile Device Expert : It would helpful if you could provide what steps you have taken thus far. You PC OS version and if connecting to USB port. Where is the port you are connecting to.
Customer:

Im connecting using tne bb desktop manager.

Mobile Device Expert : Version 6.
Customer:

The media card gives error msg without being connected to the computer. It wont load keeps saying media card is not installed

Customer:

yes version 6

Mobile Device Expert : Do you have the setting checked for support on the torch?
Mobile Device Expert : Options/device/storage
Mobile Device Expert : Media card support
Mobile Device Expert : Should be checked?
Customer:

yes. Media card supp and compression enabled

Mobile Device Expert : Do you see it register in that screen at all
Mobile Device Expert : Under built in storage. What is displayed for media card?
Customer:

i thought it might be the software problem so i wanted to hook it up to the computer to reinstall prog but its not connecting. Keeps searching for device

Customer:

media card is not installed

Mobile Device Expert : Ok try removing it and reinserting it
Mobile Device Expert : It may be dislodged
Mobile Device Expert : I use the this phone daily and support 1000s of them. This is not uncommon?
Customer:

did that about ten times even with different cards, same thing

Mobile Device Expert : Ok. That is good to know. You can try the software update. What version you have currently?
Customer:

also did alot of battery pulls, the minute the phone turns on it gives media card storage could not be access or something like that

Customer:

6.0 v 2342

Mobile Device Expert : Ok. You have a corrupt OS load.
Mobile Device Expert : You should download the latest update
Mobile Device Expert : Have you done that already?
Customer:

got the phone brand new, upgraded to that ver after a few days got this problem

Mobile Device Expert : 2647
Mobile Device Expert : Is the new version
Customer:

ok how do i do that without having to connect to the computer?

Mobile Device Expert : Blackberry.com
Mobile Device Expert : Hold a sec I have the link
Customer:

will that help with the connection problem also?

Mobile Device Expert : Have you tried that without DTM
Customer:

huh?

Mobile Device Expert : Just direct connection to PC and updater
Mobile Device Expert : Yes
Mobile Device Expert : Very common
Mobile Device Expert : I will get the link - there is also app loader as well
Customer:

ok

Mobile Device Expert : You should not run DTM?
Mobile Device Expert : If you want to Ty app loader first we can
Mobile Device Expert : Its in the program files/common files/research in motion/app loader
Mobile Device Expert : App loader.exe
Mobile Device Expert : That would be my first recommendation. Either way. You will need to install the new OS code first
Customer:

ok

Mobile Device Expert : That is downloaded at blackberry.com
Mobile Device Expert : W is your carrier?
Mobile Device Expert : AT&T?
Customer:

Digicel

Mobile Device Expert : Ok I will get your lnk
Mobile Device Expert : Hold one sec
Customer:

ok

Customer:

phone is AT&T SP is Digicel

Mobile Device Expert : Ok. Thanks.
Mobile Device Expert : Here is the online update link. This is also an option
Mobile Device Expert : http://us.blackberry.com/update/
Mobile Device Expert : Still getting your direct download link
Customer:

ok

Mobile Device Expert : Ok
Customer:

that update link can i go directly with my torch?

Mobile Device Expert : https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/Downloads/browseSoftware.do
Mobile Device Expert : Yes
Mobile Device Expert : The second link is digicel
Customer:

ok

Mobile Device Expert : Direct download. The problem is you are using the wrong software load
Mobile Device Expert : For digicel
Mobile Device Expert : You need to download the one that comes from your carrier service
Mobile Device Expert : That is the second link I gave you. Try the update site first then try the second link to download the software to PC.
Customer:

ok so in other words visit the 1st link with cell and the 2nd with the computer, am i right?

Mobile Device Expert : Both from computer
Mobile Device Expert : The difference is one does not require dtm
Mobile Device Expert : One does. 2nd link requires DTM and download of software
Mobile Device Expert : First link connect phone to PC and dynamic update
Mobile Device Expert : Both require cabling the device
Customer:

ive got my device and cable here

Mobile Device Expert : Before you do this, try to connect via the app loader on PC now
Mobile Device Expert : That is installed already.
Mobile Device Expert : Scroll up and toto to the path pasted above. Your phone might be corrupt to where it won't connect and that is a whole different process
Mobile Device Expert : You have two separate issues.
Mobile Device Expert : One wrong OS thus why when you upgraded it stopped working
Customer:

ok can u walk me thru what u want me to do pls?

Mobile Device Expert : Yes. But it is easier if I send you detailed instructions then through chat
Mobile Device Expert : I can draft them for younif you wish but it will take a little time to prepare them
Mobile Device Expert : So I want to be sure that you will be willing to wait for them
Mobile Device Expert : Your situation is unique and not easy to fix. Being a former RIM engineer I can assure you it can be fixed but not over chat.
Mobile Device Expert : I wish I had a better answer for a quick fix.
Mobile Device Expert : How would you like for me to proceed.
Customer:

i'll wait, thanks

Mobile Device Expert : Ok. I will draft them for you and you will be notified.
Customer:

ok thanks alot

Mobile Device Expert : Sure. Thank you for being patient
Mobile Device Expert : I will help you till this is resolved.
Customer:

thanks hope it can be fixed 4 real

Mobile Device Expert : I will try my best. You will hear back tonight
Customer:

ok

Mobile Device Expert : I will end this chat and you will get an email. Thanks . We will connect later.

Hi - Please answer this question.

Do you have a password XXXXX your device? If yes, do you have encryption turned on? Go to Options/ Security/ Encryption - if its on - turn it off.

In reading our chat, you mentioned that as soon as you turn the phone on it prompts with the media card error. Do you mean it prompts with a message that your media card password XXXXX encrypted and does not match the device password XXXXX the gives you the option too put the password XXXXX?

IF so, do you remember the password? IF not, did you every forget your password XXXXX change it and did not change the password XXXXX the card.

I think the issue you are having is just this. That is the only time the Torch should prompt for the media card if there is an issue.

If this sounds familiar, you will need format the card. GO to Options/Device /Storage/ press the property button and see if the option to format is there. If it is format the card. Please be advised that everything will be deleted on the card.

If you are allowed the option to format, then that should fix the media card issue. If you don't have encryption turned or if you never at any time had it turned on and you are for sure that the message you see at start up is not one of a encryption and password XXXXX on the card not matching the phone.

We then can move to reloading the OS. Please think about the information above and let me know if any of these symptoms match yours. If there is a password XXXXX the card and you don't type it in or the device is using encryption and you don't set a password, you will not be able to read the card until you sync the password XXXXX format the card.

The issue with the device not connecting to your PC is not related to the media card not being seen on the device. They are two separate issues that are two separate questions and should be handled separately. I am not saying this to request more money by asking a separate question. In the business of troubleshooting, you try to troubleshoot one issue at a time or you end up causing more problems then resolving them.

My recommendation is to focus on the media card or connecting issue first then the other. Let's try to media card and what i suggested above first. Once that has been exhausted, the issue could be the phone is bad and should request a replacement because upgrading or changing the software will cause worse problems then just a media card not being recognized and that does not seems to be the case here.

Reread this thread from top to bottom and verify that all i have mentioned is not occuring with the media card. While you check that i am still puttting your install and troubleshootuing questions for the next issue together which is why is your Torch not connecting to the PC - we will tackle that next.. Thanks for your patience, but your issue is not one that has a simple answer so we will break it down into smaller parts. I await your reply.

STEFAN

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The phone works, its not inoperable just that i cannot store or access my info on any memory card installed. The encryption is not on or has ever been on. The msg is "Media card storage cannot be accessed due to fatal errors".

Follow these steps to fix:

1. Download software here:
  2. https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/Downloads/browseSoftware.do;jsessionid=2F4599704EEEB0A6EF2FECFEEF0887AD.node1
  3. Install on PC
  4. Search for Vendor.xml PC search and delete all copies
  5. Take out media card.
  6. Turn on phone
  7. Plug device into usb then connect to pc but do not run DTM.
  8. Instead Go to c:/program files/common files/research in motion/app loader and run apploader.exe

The loader should automatically pick up the device.
  9. If you cant connect still - then stop there and report back. You have separate issue that must be fixed first.

If it apploader picks up Torch follow the prompts to install.
    Do not unplug device till complete.
    It resets twice and initializes and then restores - takes 30 min
  10. When complete - turn off device - insert card
  11. Turn on device - try media card - did you get the same error - please let me know.

To add to my above answer, I spoke with some expert contacts on this issue and it appears this issue is OS6 related and could be related to previous unplug of device prior to completion of an OS upgrade or firmware not compatible with the card using.

I recommended the AT&T build over the older digicel build as it is better but don't forget to delete the vendor XML file prior to install or it will not install correctly. Be sure to remove the media card prior to cabling to PC.

Be sure to use a USB port that is working on the main unit not hub or docking station or monitor. There have been some suggestions to use a 32GB card for the Torch. I did not ask if that was being used or not. It seems to work better than the smaller ones. Something to think about if this does not work.

As stated earlier, the connection issue and the media card are two separate issue but my last step would be to also uncheck media card support before cabling to PC to perform upgrade as it takes one more piece out that could cause the connection to hang. You can turn it on again after.

I have my fingers crossed for you that this OS upgrade will resolve this. Good luck and fill me in on your result. Will go from there.Smile

Stefan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I keep getting a page error with that link u gave me, saying incorrecet link
The link expired most likely. Here is an new link:

https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=577BCC914F9E55D5E4E4F82F9F00E7D4

Click drop down and choose 9800 and fill out the information and click confirm and accept and download to PC and install.

Here are the install steps again:

Install on PC
Search for Vendor.xml PC search and delete all copies
Take out media card.
Turn on phone
Plug device into usb then connect to pc but do not run DTM.
Instead Go to c:/program files/common files/research in motion/app loader and run apploader.exe

If you cant connect still - then stop there and report back. You have separate issue that must be fixed first.

Do not unplug device till complete.
When complete - turn off device - insert card
Turn on device - try media card - did you get the same error - please let me know.

I am following up to see if you were able to use the new link provided to retrieve the device OS in order to reinstall the newer version on the 9800?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, yes I downloaded it and upgraded the phone. The phone connects better now and it doesn't stick but the media card issue remains the same. When I install the card it notices tha a card is instaaled at the beginning but then the error msg comes on that the files cant be accessed. When I remove the card it also recognizes that the card was remove. It just won't read the card.
Hi - Can you provide the details of the card - type, manufacturer, size?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Its a SanDisk micro sd hc 4g card
Have you tried reformatting this card, on the BlackBerry first? Only suggest this if you have the data from it stored elsewhere. I would like to see if the card can be formatted by the device as it is now acknowledging it at least unlike prior. Please try to remove or back up the data first off the card and then place the card into BlackBerry and go to storage options we went prior and click properties button and then format. If there is no error, then try just saving a picture from the device first this a good test.

Goto the camera then verify option to save to card not phone memory. Take a picture and then save see if it saves to the card. I have a feeling you need to reformat this card to this device now. Without it it will acknowledge but can't read from it.

Let me know if this fixes the issue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I haven't tried formatting cause there's data on the disk that haven't been backed up. I was ta buy a new card today but I forgot. The phone was always acknowledging the card before just not reading it.

Yes. Understood until you are able to format the card, one the phone, it may not every read it. Please try to back up the card off the phone or try another card. I was under the impression reading back through the notes of this case that you were getting an error - fatal message error prior and the card was not showing up.

Is the error the same one as previous?

The card is bad from the phone 's perspective and will likely work if reformatted.

Let me know when you can format it or try a different card. That is the issue as it stand s now with that card.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok just bought a 8g Adata micro sd (card class 2)(they didn't have a 32g card) installed it in the phone and tried formatting it. I got 'media card format failed'. I tried it a few times but got the same result. Any advise?
Hi - That is a firmware issue with the actual reader in the phone. However, I am verifying this with my associates who make your device for verification. I will have a confirmed answer shortly. Thanks for your patience.

Stefan

Hi - I have tested on my Torch and the same media card - mine is HC so verify your is as well. MicroSDHC. This model comes in both HC and not HC, Torch requires HC. If you did get HC, it should of came with SD adapter to use in the PC.

When you placed the card in and tried to format, did you notice and option below to Repair? If so, did you try the repair as well?

If repair failed and you pulled the battery with the new card inserted twice and tried to format and still failed. You should take the card out and try formatting it on the PC first in the adapter. Pick FAT32. Then place the card back in the Torch and try to see if the you can now access the card without error.

Be sure media card support is checked

Steps: If one works no need to continue to the next.

1. Verify card id HC
  2. Check for Repair option and try
  3. Pull Batter with new card inserted and retry the format
  4. Pull card from phone and format on PC first then Place in 9800 and try to save to file to card.

Let me know if any of the above resolves the issue.

MobileDeviceXpert, Mobile Engineer III
Experience: 3+ years Exp. BlackBerry Certified. BCSA, BCSS, BCSSS.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi I. accidentally accepted your answer but I haven't been able to yet try the last method cause I'm not home and didn't take the phone with me.Does that mean u won't be helping me still?

I will be helping you regardless of your accepting my answer by accident. I would not do that to a customer. You will have my assistance till the issue is resolved.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok. Thanks.

NP. Let me know when ready.
NP. Just let me know when you are ready. If I Di
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the shout but I just wanted you to know that after following all your instructions the phone is still not reading any memory card. I got fed up so I left it like that.

Thanks for trying to help. I really appreciated it.

Hi - I am sorry that your media card issues have been resolved by any of the the troubleshooting steps provided. I have reproduced the errors you have occured on my torch and then fixed thereafter. The issues occured when i either had:

1. Bad sector on the card which was fixed by running repair
  2. Had the wrong type of card in the device - switch to right card
  3. Bad file on the card that prevented it from being read - ran the card in external reader with disk utilit on pc and did error checking and then reinserted in reader on device and it worked
  4. Card was not pushed into the reader all the way - reinseerted fixed it
  5. Card was fromatted wrong - reformting card fixed it
  6. Settings for media in options were set incorrectly or compression was turned on so turned compression off and verified storage mode was on

If you take your card and insert in an exteranl reader then insert that into your pc reader, can it be read? If so, run disk utilities and virus scan on the card and backup it up then put the card in the device and format it using the format option on the Torch.

If you can not get any card to read then its the card reader or the card is not inserted firmly which can cause sympoms described for its inserted just enough for it to get read that a card is present then error out. On my Torch i have to firmly insert in the reader or it does not read it.

If your device is new or under warrantly, it is worth asking for a replacement device as that shouild not occur with your reader.

I feel your frustration. I work with these devices daily. I have only seen this issue not get resolved when it is a hardware issue and then the device need to be replaced. I will continue to work with you on this till eithe it works or you decide to get a replacement as i like to know that there is a way fix for you but it may be a new device,

Thanks,

Stefan