Richard S.
Richard S., Accounts and Device Specialist
Experience:  5 years working with major US carriers in billing, contracts, devices and network
46174997

Need help to connect my Android cell phone to my Cisco router.

Customer Question

Cannot connect my Android cell phone to my Cisco router. It was connected but a week ago it was dropped after my son connected his laptop. Now the map shows that all the ports are taken with listed IPs. My wife's PC has two, my WII has one, internet has one, and my son's laptop one. One port is dark but lists an IP address, and another I removed from the network map as I thought that command would un-connect the listed IP addresses. When I attempt to connect my Android cell phone, an error message reads "The network password  is  not  correct."

Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  Richard S. replied 5 years ago.

Please try the steps below in this EXACT order.

Unplug both your modem (cable, DSL etc) from its power source and do the same with the wireless router. Wait about 60 seconds and plug each one back in.

Then remove the battery and SIM (if you have on, varies by carrier) from the phone and wait 20 seconds.

Then with the battery still out, plug it into your wall charger, and place the battery and SIM back in and turn the phone back on. Try again and it should work!

Experience: 5 years working with major US carriers in billing, contracts, devices and network
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Rebooted router and DSL modem, then HTC Inspire android cell phone. Still "not correct password".

Are you 100 percent sure that you have the correct password (silly I know but check on it). Also does the device work on other wifi networks or is it not working on any wifi networks?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I used the password that I had saved in my notebook. How can I verify the password? My WII and Karen's PC are working and of course the one I am writing on. This phone was active on this router before.

You might need to do a factory reset on this device. This has been a pretty common issue with many of these devices. I am sorry it is being such a pain!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

How do I check the password? Disconnect one of the users then reset using the password?

Yes it works on other networks, at my place of work for one. Which device should I do a factory reset and how?

Ok, I am not sure how you change the password on the router as that varies by the model and is more of a computer question (i.e. not something I am good with).

You can do a factory reset on the device via the steps below. This will erase everything on the device but when you set the device back up with the gmail account, it will bring back all of your contacts and calendar. If all other devices are working fine with the router and you are 100% sure, you have the correct password, I would do the factory reset on the device

From the main home screen, tap menu

• Tap Settings, then Privacy
  • Tap Factory data reset
  • Tap Reset phone
  • Enter your password if required , then tap Erase everything to confirm

If that doesn't work, or if your phone is frozen:

1. Turn the power off. If your HTC Inspire 4G is frozen, pull the battery out and reinsert it
  2. Hold the Volume Down button
  3. Press and hold the Power button until the device turns on
  4. You are now presented with a menu that allows for Fastbook, Recovery, Clear Storage, and Simlock
  5. Select Clear Storage by pressing the Volume Down button
  6. Press and release the Power button
  7. Now simply confirm your decision: Volume Up for YES and Volume Down for NO

All data including third-party applications will be deleted from the HTC Inspire 4G. Once the wipe is complete, the phone will reboot to its factory fresh state.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Can you suggest something something concrete?

It is either the router or the phone. Router is working fine other than the ports being taken and resetting the password will not change that. So your option are either to shut off one of the device on the router and see if it the Inspire will reconnect in which case you know it is the router. You need to free up a port by disconnecting one of the other devices, or get another router with more ports, or try a factory reset as the Inspire should be grabbing one of the ports assigned to your son's laptop as that one should not have two ports.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

How do I disconnect one of the devices on the router? I attempted this before losing the port. The unused ports have an ISP numerical user listed. One port that my son signed on to but that could be terminated. The third port that is not being used is the duplicate for Karen's PC. The third has no recognized user only an ISP. Which one or ones should be disconnected and how?

Power off one of the units (son's laptop) and after it is off, unplug the router and plug it back in. Should open the port up.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Re-examined the router map. The second port for Karen's PC has no listed mac address. My son's connection's mac address : "not connected". The third one has a mac address in hexadecimal: 90:27:E4:3A:8F:34. These three users have not been active all day definitely not since the router was cycled on/off. I will recycle router again.

Ok, let me know! This may be more of a computer issue. :(