Richard S.
Richard S., Accounts and Device Specialist
Experience:  5 years working with major US carriers in billing, contracts, devices and network
46174997

Cannot connect my Android cell phone to my cisco router. It

Customer Question

Cannot connect my Android cell phone to my cisco router. It was connected but a week ago it was dropped after my son connected his laptop. Now the map shows that all the ports are taken with listed ips. My wife's pc has two, my WII has one, internet has one, and my son's laptop one. One port is dark but lists an ip address, and another I removed from the network map as I thought that command would unconnect the listed ip addressee. When I attempt to connect my Android cell phone, an error message reads "The network password XXXXX XXXXX correct."
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  Richard S. replied 3 years ago.

Please try the steps below in this EXACT order.

Unplug both your modem (cable, DSL etc) from its power source and do the same with the wireless router. Wait about 60 seconds and plug each one back in. Then ,

Remove the battery and SIM (if you have on, varies by carrier) from the phone and wait 20 seconds, then, with the battery still out, plug it into your wall charger, then place the battery and SIM back in and turn the phone back on. Try again and it should work!

If it works, please click Accept as that is how I get credit. If not, let me know and we will keep working on it. Bonus NOT necessary but ALWAYS appreciated!!

Experience: 5 years working with major US carriers in billing, contracts, devices and network
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
rebooted router and dsl modem, then HTC Inspire android cell phone. Still not correct password.
Are you 100 percent sure that you havve the correct password (silly I know but check on it.). Also does the device work on other wifi networks or is it not working on any wifi networks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I used the password that I had saved in my notebook. How can I verify the password? My WII and Karen's PC are working and of course the one I am writing on. This phone was active on this router before.

I

Are you 100 percent sure that you havve the correct password (silly I know but check on it.). Also does the device work on other wifi networks or is it not working on any wifi networks. You mmight need to do a factory reset on this device. This has been a pretty common issue with many of these devices . I am sorry it is being such a pain!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How do I check the password? Disconnect one of the users then reset uisng the password?

Yes it works on other networks, at my place of work for one.

Which device should I do a factory reset and how?

Yuck, ok. I am not sure how you change the password on the router as that varies by the model and is more of a computer question (i.e. not something I am good with.) A factory reset on the device via the steps below. This will erase everything on the device but when you set the device back up with the gmail account it will bring back all of your contacts and calendar and you can go to the Market and to the previously downloaded tab and download any of the apps that you had. If all other devices are wokring fine with the router and you are 100% sure you have the correct password. I would do the facotry reset on the device

rom the main home screen, tap menu

• Tap Settings, then Privacy
  • Tap Factory data reset
  • Tap Reset phone
  • Enter your password if required, then tap Erase everything to confirm
  • If that doesn't work, or if your phone is frozen:

1. Turn the power off. If your HTC Inspire 4G is frozen, pull the battery out and reinsert it
    2. Hold the Volume Down button
    3. Press and hold the Power button until the device turns on
    4. You are now presented with a menu that allows for Fastbook, Recovery, Clear Storage, and Simlock
    5. Select Clear Storage by pressing the Volume Down button
    6. Press and release the Power button
    7. Now simply confirm your decision: Volume Up for YES and Volume Down for NO

All data including third-party applications will be deleted from the HTC Inspire 4G. Once the wipe is complete, the phone will reboot to its factory fresh state.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You are guessing now! How about something concrete. Refering to another tech? How ?about the man who answered my problem last time.

It is either the router or the phone. Router is working fine other than the ports being taken and resetting the password will not change that. So your option are either to shut off one of the device on the router and see if it the Inspire will reconnect in which case you know it is the router and you need to free up a port by disonnecting one of the other devices, or get another router with more ports, or try a factory reset as the Inspire should be grabbing one of the ports assigned to your son's laptop as that one should not have two ports. I will opt out of you would like but they will almost certainly tell you the same thing

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
    How do I disconnect one of the devices on the router? I attempted this before losing the port. The unused ports have an isp numerical user listed. One port that my son signed on to but that could be terminated. The third port that is not being used is the duplicate for Karen's pc. The third has no recognized user only an isp. Which one or ones should be disconnected and how?
    Power off one of the units (sons laptop) and after it is off, unplug the router and plug it back in. Should open the port up
    Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Reexamined the router map. The second port for Karen's pc has no listed mac address.

My son's connection's mac address : "not connected". The third one has a mac address in hexadeimal: 90:27:E4:3A:8F:34. These three users have not been active all day defintely not since the router was cycled on/off. I will recycle router again.

Ok, let me know! This may be more of a computer issue. :( What model of router do you have?
    Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Cisco Wireless-N: WRT160N V3. The tech for the previous issue "connecting my WII" accessed the router code.

Hmmm, ok, let me opt out and try to get this over to nbetworking as this is getting beyond my scope. If you dont get a answer please request a refund and sorry for not know ing this one dead on. If it were me I would try the factory reset though, just FYI
    Customer: replied 3 years ago.
    I am going to starbucks to test my phones WiFi connectivity. Thnaks
    Ok, let me know! Best of luck!
    Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Four WiFi's connected to one. OPen networks.

Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

Hi and thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is Eric and I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Are you still looking for help with this?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Eric, I apologize for the delay in getting in touch with you, but stuff happens. Still cannot connect to my home network. From the history you can read about the tries. I tried again but will not connect even though rourt detected and IDed.