Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Cell Phone Engineer
Experience:  Cell Phone Repair Business Owner & CIS Degree
40218039

My Blackberry Torch will not reboot properly. I was attempting

My Blackberry Torch will not reboot properly. I was attempting to install an upgrade to my Twitter software on my Torch and it stalled. As a result, I pushed Alt-aA(up arrow)-Del at the same time to cause the hard reboot. The hard reboot then stops and will not complete.
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 3 years ago.

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer, a paid global support site.

Did you install Twitter to your Torch itself or an SD card or do you not know?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Initially Twitter was on the phone already, if I recall correctly. I got the phone when the Torch first came out last September.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I've also tried a hard reboot with removing the battery too now.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Obviously, I've installed updates to the Twitter software since I got the phone.
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 3 years ago.
Okay so after you updated Twitter is when you had the problem?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That's correct. I was in the process of updating it yesterday when it locked up. So, I tried to do the hard reboot, and it stalls about 2/3 of the way through the hard reboot.
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 3 years ago.
Sounds like your BlackBerry is bricked. You will need to wipe it and reload the BB OS. There is no other option.

Please do the following method to unbrick your Blackberry.

***THIS METHOD WILL WIPE ALL INFORMATION ON THE BACKUP.***

Be sure that you have the following:
  • Your Blackberry.
  • Blackberry USB cable.
  • Windows (XP/Vista/7) based machine.
  • Blackberry Desktop Manager (provided by your cell carrier) installed.
  • Blackberry OS provided by your cell carrier.
Now you are ready.

Leave your Blackberry disconnected. Open My Computer (or Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Windows Explorer) and navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\ and right click on AppLoader.exe and select Run As Administrator (if you have a 64-bit OS, go to the C:\Program Files (x86)\... path).

Once you have AppLoader opened, connect your Blackberry to the USB and then plug the USB into your computer.

Watch for the screen to switch to USB-PIN:UNKNOWN. When you see it, click Next immediately. This will put the OS in reload mode. If you miss the USB-PIN:UNKNOWN, unplug, remove the battery, replace the battery, and try again.

Now the OS will be reloaded. Now you can select the application you want on your Blackberry and then click Next. Now the installation will start.

Once you get the The loading operation was successful screen, the phone will reboot itself. When it does, disconnect the USB cable from the phone.

The reboot will take around 15-20 minutes, be patience.

Once it boots up, you are ready to go.

Feel free to ask any questions, as I am here to assist you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is there any way to save any of the photos on the phone, or will those be gone too?
Expert:  replied 3 years ago.
If the photos were on your micro SD, remove your SD before this process and they should be fine. If they were only on the BB, then they will not be recoverable.
Mr. Clark, Cell Phone Engineer
Experience: Cell Phone Repair Business Owner & CIS Degree