Eric, Android Expert
Experience:  3 Years as an Android Developer, Complete detailed knowlege of all Android Devices and the OS itself
57442719

my samsung transforms touchscreen isnt responding at all.

Customer Question

my samsung transform's touchscreen isn't responding at all. I got sunscreen on it while sweating and talking. I wiped it off and now nothing works.
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

Eric :

Hi and thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I do whatever I can to help answer your questions.

Eric :

Lets do a few things to get the screen working again ;]

Eric :

First.. do you have any rubbing alcohol in the house?

Customer:

yes

Eric :

Cotton balls?

Customer:

yep

Eric :

Good, go get them and come back.. ;]

Eric :

First thing, before we clean it is to remove the battery.

Customer:

back

Eric :

You can remove it while the phone is on. It wont hurt it.

Customer:

i don't know how to get the back off

Eric :

Ok, I will find an image showing you how.. but I bet if you look around the back edges you will find a little slip to fit your fingernale into before I can even find the image

Customer:

correct

Eric :

haha ;]

Customer:

battery is out, thank you

Eric :

I just found it too.. i was going to download it and send it to you.. but I am glad you found it

Eric :

Ok. now that the battery is out. Go ahead and get a couple cotton balls nic and wet with the rubbing alcohol.

Eric :

Its ok to use this, because it will evaporate and not leave moisture behind on the device.

Customer:

ok done

Eric :

clean the screen with a few, then blow on it to dry and, and repeat the process until the screen is almost resistant to your fingers sliding across is meaning its completely clean of all the oils from the lotion

Eric :

Or, until you think its completely clean.

Eric :

Then go ahead and replace the battery, and restart the phone.

Customer:

still slickish..

Eric :

That could also be the residual oils on your hands. I would go ahead and repower the phone on to see if that did it.

Eric :

Its a very rare thing to happen, normally the screens are very resistant to things like this.

Customer:

ok be a minute I'm a spazz

Eric :

Its ok.. no worries!

Customer:

battery is in, is booting slowly

Customer:

not responding

Eric :

Ok.. I need to ask, did it get wet?

Eric :

Thats the only thing that would cause it to not respond anymore, if water got under the screen and onto the digitizer.

Customer:

how can I tell?

Eric :

Well, it would be hard for you to tell, unless you noticed the device itself was covered in water, etc.

Eric :

There is only one actual way to know if the phone is damaged physically, or its a fluke software error.

Eric :

You can do it, but it will factory reset the phone.

Customer:

no it wasn't but it did get sweaty

Eric :

IF its software error, the device will work again after the reset. IF its hardware error, it wont but you can get a free replacement.

Customer:

it feels like it's trying to work

Eric :

Does the screen recognize your touch at all? even the slightes bit?

Eric :

slightest*

Customer:

yes

Eric :

Ok.

Eric :

Then lets do this.

Customer:

lower screen is slowly responding

Eric :

you MIGHT have gotten some moisture in there.

Eric :

ok

Eric :

That a good sign

Eric :

Do this.

Eric :

remove the battery NOW

Customer:

done

Eric :

Ok, i know this is going to sound strange.

Eric :

Take the phone, and place it (not the battery) in a ziplock bag, full of rice.

Customer:

you don't know me, nothing is strange

Customer:

ok

Eric :

The rice will suck out ANY moisture thats in the device

Eric :

Give it a few hours, i recommend at least 4.

Eric :

Then replace the battery and try again.

Eric :

You can come back here and tell me whether it works or not, if it does.. please accept the answer so I am given credit for helping you ;]

If it doesnt, I will keepw working with you until it does!

Customer:

so,how do I find you in 4 hours?

Eric :

Just come right back to this page ;]

Eric :

Once you reply, I will be notified that you replied and I will come back to help you.

Eric :

If the chat is closed, the page will become like a "forum" page.

Eric :

where you can reply and so can I. You will always be able to see this page.

Customer:

cool, I had only Minute Rice. Is that ok? should I put the back of the phone in the rice too?

Eric :

No, the back cover if fine.. its just a peice of plastic that you can dry yourself.

Customer:

ok, tty in 4 or so hours

Eric :

Any kind of rice will do, Minute rice will take longer because it is already partially cooked so it has moisture in the rice kernels so it will take longer to absorb the water from phone

Eric :

but it will work, just slower.

Customer:

cat litter?

Eric :

no! lol

Eric :

That will leave dust inside the phone.. and damage it more ;]

Eric :

Trust me, rice is the best option ;]

Customer:

ok, I use it for my son's sweat soaked (stinky) football gear

Customer:

I have no choice but to trust you

Eric :

good idea.. ill have to try that.

Eric :

I work on Androids all day, I am an Android Developer.. so with this, you can trust me!

Customer:

stuff knee high hose with litter for shoes

Eric :

now THATS something i never thought of.

Customer:

thanks...see you later.

Eric :

Have great day, I'll see you in a few hours!

Customer:

hi! and Hwlp! After being in the rice since we spoke last the little bit of touchscreen which had returned is gone. now what?

Eric, Android Expert
Experience: 3 Years as an Android Developer, Complete detailed knowlege of all Android Devices and the OS itself
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

Unfortunately it seems to be the worse case scenario then. The touch screen itself seems to have been damaged.

This isn't a bad thing, if you call your carrier now and tell them the phone wont respond at all, you should get a replacement at no cost to you.

DO NOT under ANY circumstances tell them it got even the slightest bit wet, dont say you sweat on it, or anything or they will NOT replace it.