Eric, Android Expert
Experience:  3 Years as an Android Developer, Complete detailed knowlege of all Android Devices and the OS itself
57442719

I have forgottten my pattern to unlock my samsung Galaxy Ace.

I have forgottten my pattern to unlock my samsung Galaxy Ace. How do I retrieve it? Is my google a/c my gmail a/c?
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

Eric :

Hi and thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I do whatever I can to help answer your questions.

Eric :

Do you remember the username of the Google account you logged into or created the first time you setup the Galaxy phoen?

Customer:

I didn't enter one - or is my gmail a/c my google a/c?

Eric :

If you have a Gmail account, that is also your Google account. They are the same username ;]

Customer:

okay, it's XXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Eric :

Sorry. I cannot see the email address, and it wouldnt do any good if I could ;]

You are trying to get back into the phone after you locked it out and forgot the pattern right?

Customer:

yes

Eric :

Ok, Do you remember the password XXXXX that gmail account?

Customer:

yes

Eric :

Ok. Just try and unlock the device again, when it asks you to log in using your google account, enter the username and password.

Customer:

it doesn't ask that, it just tells me to wait 30 secs to try again

Eric :

If that is the case, then the phone is not recognizing that there is a Google account associated with the device. This is an issue with Android 2.1 and 2.2 which is being fixed in the upcoming 2.4(ice cream version).

If that is the case for you, we can still get into the phone but it will require resetting the phone back to factory settings.

Customer:

okay, how??

Eric :

Give me one second I will get the sequence for you. For now, go ahead and remove the battery and replace it but don't turn the phone on.

Eric :

Ok, you ready?

Customer:

done

Eric :

Yours is actualy much simpler than most Galaxy devices ;]

Eric :

Press and hold down the both the Menu and Power buttons (make sure you press menu first or it will reboot like normal). Keep holding them down for a few seconds until your phone boots into the Recovery Menu.

Eric :

Let me know when you are in the Recovery Menu.

Customer:

okay I'm in recovery mode

Eric :

Ok great

Eric :

Do you see an option for "Wipe Data / Factory Reset"?

Eric :

or "Clear Storage"

Customer:

yes

Eric :

use the volume buttons to highlight that option

Eric :

then press the menu key to select it.

Customer:

done

Eric :

You phone is now going to reset itself.

Eric :

wont take very long.

Eric :

Will reboot and you now have a new device. It will ask you to setup the phone like you just bought it but it will still be programmed with your phone number.

Customer:

the wipe data/fac reset is highlighted but nothing is happening.

Eric :

Did you press the menu button?

Eric :

The menu button acts like a "select" button while in recovery mode.

Customer:

no! so i go down to 'delete all user data - yes?

Eric :

yes

Eric :

btw, anything on your SD Card (images, etc) wont be deleted.

Eric :

only the files on the internal memory

Customer:

it says 'reboot system now' -do I do that?

Eric :

Absolutely ;]

Eric :

Im assuming it restarted?

Customer:

All okay! Thanks so much for your help, amazing!

Eric :

I have a few peices of advice for you if youre interested

Customer:

yes please

Eric :

#1.. and this is a BIG number 1.

Eric :

Make sure you setup the device with a Google Account(gmail) and have it setup to sync so that in the future if something like this happens again, when you have to restore your phone all your contacts, apps, etc can be restored just by logging in to the new phone with the same account.

Eric :

write down that Google account info if its not an account you use all the time so you dont forget it.

Customer:

okay

Eric :

the last thing, is to bookmark HelpWithAndroid.com so that in the future if you have anymore Android questions you can get me directly!

Eric :

;]

Customer:

will do, thanks again

Eric :

Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer:

no, that's it

Eric :

If you have any other questions feel free to ask. If not and I have helped you today Please press the Accept Button so I am credited for my time Assisting you! Please don't leave negative feedback, If something isn't working let me know and I will continue working with you to resolve it!

Positive Feedback & Bonuses
are not necessary but ALWAYS appreciated!!

Click here and BOOKMARK this page to get me directly with ANY Android questions in the future! HelpWithAndroid.com
Eric :

Ok, then have a great night!

Eric, Android Expert
Experience: 3 Years as an Android Developer, Complete detailed knowlege of all Android Devices and the OS itself
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

If there is anything else you need please let me know.

If I was able to solve your problem PLEASE press the accept button as thats the ONLY way I am credited for fixed your problem!!

Thank You!