Eric, Android Expert
Experience:  3 Years as an Android Developer, Complete detailed knowlege of all Android Devices and the OS itself
57442719

How can I tether my Asus Transformer to my Android (Moment

Customer Question

How can I tether my Asus Transformer to my Android (Moment)
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  A.J replied 5 years ago.

A.J :

Hi there. I am glad to help you with this.

A.J :

Please go to the following website and download the software. It is very easy to start tethering with this.

A.J :

Please press ACCEPT so that i get credited. Please leave a positive feedback. Thanks

Customer:

Looks like that is for a laptop. The Transformer is an android tablet

Customer:

and I do not want to root the phone or the tablet.

A.J :

No. Its not like that. After tethering you can connect any wifi enabled device

A.J :

Please press ACCEPT. Only then i'll get credited. Thanks

A.J :

Hello...

A.J :

you there?

Customer:

No, that is not correct. I quote from the site: Tether is currently compatible on both the BlackBerry and Android platforms. The computer component can run on either any Mac or Windows computer. My tablet obviously does not run on Windows or Mac OS.

Customer:

I refer to the second sentence. "The computer component can run o either any Mac or Windows computer." I want to tether my tablet (Android OS) to the phone.

Customer:

not a computer. Otherwise, I could have used PDA net

Customer:

And PDAnet has a new tablet version, but the tablet and phone will not connect. They showed "paired, but not connected", and when I try to connect them they give different connection numbers - and won't connect.

Customer:

I don't want to root the phone. Android-wifi-tether says, "This application requires a "rooted"-device and a custom-kernel which supports netfilter (iptables)! Please see the FAQ for detailed information." I'll look at zalink, but I think it is the same.

Customer:

azlink "It's been tested on MacOS, Windows, and Linux." the tablet runs on none of those. It is Android.

Customer:

Sorry, AJ, It does not appear that this is your area. Do you need more time; or how do we conclude you don't have the answer, and how do I not get charged Paypay said it has already taken money from my account. How do I get it back?

Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Hi and thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will gladly help you find the answers you need.

Customer

To answer you question as simple as possible, without rooting your phone you will need to pay your phone carrier the monthly fee to enable wifi tethering.

I have multiple Android devices, both phones(about 20) and tablets(5) and I personally use the method you want as in I connect my WiFi only tablets to my phones 3G connection via a tethering app. The only problem is, without root the phone tethering apps wont work. Only the tether app provided by your carrier can pass the security lock allowing for tether, and that requires you to pay a monthly fee. This is the biggest reason for root.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sprint does not block tethering
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have used pdanet to tether my netbook and a laptop to this same phone. The issue is that I am not tethering a Windows OS device; I am tethering an Android device.
Rooting will void my warranty, correct? So, that is not an acceptable solution.
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

No. They do not. But the tethering apps that are available will ONLY tether your app to a pc running windows/linux/mac/ubuntu (sometimes ps3 and xbox) but will not work for another Android Tablet or device because all the "non root" tether apps require you have a host(android app) and user client(windows software, etc.) installed.

Only a rooted phone with a tether/hotspot or paid-for tethering will allow you to turn your phone into a wifi "hot-spot" which is what you are trying to do.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Eric: Please see:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/android-tablet-apps/16596-pdanet-tablet-beta.html

"This is a tablet version of the extremely popular PdaNet software. It allows you to share the Internet access of an Android device with another Android device through Bluetooth. You should install this application on both the tablet and the phone. Then run client mode on a tablet and server mode on a phone. No rooting required. Connection speed should be very fast if your phone has good data service.

PdaNet works by setting the web proxy server on your tablet and route web requests to a Bluetooth DUN service. That means only applications that use web connections will work. On Honeycomb devices PdaNet supports Browser, Gmail and Map. For Android 2.2/2.3 devices PdaNet only supports the Browser app"

also, see:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.pdanet.tablet

PdaNet works by setting the web proxy server on your tablet and route web requests to a Bluetooth DUN service. That means only applications that use web connections will work. On Honeycomb devices PdaNet supports Browser, Gmail and Map. For Android 2.2/2.3 devices PdaNet only supports the Browser app.

Warning: after PdaNet is disconnected, you MUST manually clear network proxy, otherwise your Internet connection will fail. Do NOT remove PdaNet before doing this!!

This solution has been proven to work on all tablets. If your browser still has no Internet after PdaNet is connected, clear proxy and start over. There is a (rare) bug in the browser that sometimes proxy is not picked up.

We understand this solution is not ideal but it is as good as it gets without root access. We made this application free in hope that it will be useful to you when there is no other way."

btw, I have Android 3.1 on the tablet - Also, see pg 2 of the reviews:User ReviewsWrite a Review >Keep dropping the connection by fsantoso– June 9, 2011**I got it installed in both my tablet (Transformer) and my Evo.** Got them paired and connected. It worked, but after browsing 2-3 web pages it will simply stop working. Then I would need to re-connect again and it will work again, then drop again after 2-3 web pages. Does not seem to be stable. Only work in the stock web browser. Google map appears to work (but then dropped as well). Native mail client does not work, GMail client also does not work. Hope the vendor will improve it and make it stable.Excellent, HTC incredible and **Asus transformer** by Alvaro– June 9, 2011
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
fg
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Sorry, that was not an abbreviated curseword; it was a test to see if the chat box sent.

Let's go back to the rooting question. I def don't want to root the Transformer, but the Samsung Moment is old so I might be willing to risk that. Can I root the Moment *only*? and if so, do you have a good site. xda-developers? or another?

Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

xda-dev is the hands down ONLY site you should visit for information on rooting/roms/etc.

Just so you know, If you root the phone it "voids" the warranty. But i have sent back over 100 rooted devices for replacement devices, never ONCE did they have any idea the phone was rooted.

My only advice is that if you root the phone, to make sure you read the entire process and understand it before starting to make sure you can do it. Some phones have 1-click programs, some dont.

And yes, pdanet may have it working, but as you can see.. its not a solid choice as even they know without root they cant guarantee it will work.

I hope what I have said has clarified things a little for you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
to clarify one last point: If I root the cellphone (Moment), I won't have to root the Asus Transformer/tablet, right? Please confirm this, and that will answer my question. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

No, if you root the phone(the device you want to use AS the mobile hotspot) you will NOT have to root the tablet. The tablet will just connect to the phone as if it was a wireless router.

Eric, Android Expert
Experience: 3 Years as an Android Developer, Complete detailed knowlege of all Android Devices and the OS itself