Pete , Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

The scroll button on my blackberry 9700 bold has stopped working

The scroll button on my blackberry 9700 bold has stopped working , which makes navigation impossible. Is there a solution ?
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.

Electronics Pete :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Electronics Pete :

I am Pete, a mobile phone expert, and I'd like to assist with your question today.

Electronics Pete :

How old is your Blackberry 9700 Bold?

Electronics Pete :

Will the scroll button not work in any direction at all? (up/down/left/right)

Electronics Pete :

Have you tried a hard reboot of your Blackberry phone?
To do a hard reset, with power still on, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about 2 minutes then replace the battery and cover. Power up your phone again and wait patiently through the long reboot -- around 5 minutes. Check if the scroll button is working again.

Electronics Pete :

If you are still having problems, then it may be caused by a buildup of dirt under the scroll button. To fix this, you will need to carefully pop the scroll button up and clean underneath it, then fit the button back in its place.

Customer:

The Bold is approx 18 months old.

Customer:

How do I get the button to pop up?

Customer:

It doesnt work in any direction or when you press it. I can feel it click but nothing is happening.Now I've rebooted I cant get the terms and conditions off the screen!!

Electronics Pete :

Before removing the scroll button, you can first try cleaning it with alcohol, canned air or a Q-tip. Turn it off first before cleaning it. Set it on a table and press the scroll button in while cleaning around it. Hopefully this will free up the button.

Electronics Pete :

If cleaning without removing the button does not work, then you will need to gently prise it out with a small flat screwdriver and take care not to lose any of the small white pieces under the button.

Customer:

I've got it to work by rebooting without sim card!! Tryed 5 reboots with sim card still in which did not work. Expensive lesson learned...