Daniel, Engineer
Experience:  BSEE (Electrical Engineer), 10+ years electronic design experience ,chip, board, component expert

I dropped my Samsung Galaxy S in the toilet on Saturday May

I dropped my Samsung Galaxy S in the toilet on Saturday May 14th 2011. I picked it up like 2 sec. later it wasn't in there long enough. I didn't take the battery out instantly, until like 8 mins later, I tried turning it on a couple hours later and it just kept rebooting itself, over and over. I shoved it in rice the very next day, I left it under a fan the entire nite before the rice. I check it yesterday morning the 5/17/2011 but it still is rebooting over and over.

Would you think it's the battery that needs to change? maybe it got shorted out?
Please be my sliver lining in my dark toilet clouds.
Regards,
Giovanni
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  Daniel replied 3 years ago.

Silicon Savant :

Hi there happy to help.

Silicon Savant :

Have you charged the phone for a few hours and tried again?

Silicon Savant :

Asuming you don't have insurance on the phone.........

Customer:

Yeah I don't have insurance on the phone.

Customer:

No I haven't tried charging it.

Silicon Savant :

OK, turn it off, charge it for a few hours.

Customer:

I can do that as soon as i get home this afternoon for lunch

Silicon Savant :

If this doesn't work order a new battery.

Customer:

Ok.

Customer:

But it wouldn't like malfunction the phone if I charge it?

Silicon Savant :

NOW, this is not gauranteed to fix it, but since you don't have insurance, its the cheapest shot you can take here.

Silicon Savant :

What the rebooting tells me is one of two things.......

Customer:

?

Silicon Savant :

1) You're battery is low and the phone is shutting down like it is supposed to.

Silicon Savant :

in this case your battery is bad from the water, and you can replace it.......

Customer:

Umm, yeah? but it had juice before it fell, but continue... :)

Silicon Savant :

for $7 its worth a try.

Silicon Savant :

second option is .......

Customer:

Ofcourse it is :)

Customer:

Ok ...?

Silicon Savant :

Your phone is irrepairable damaged.

Customer:

:(

Silicon Savant :

I have seen phone's come back from some serious water damage so I give you good odds on either recharging the battery or if that doesn't work replacing it.

Silicon Savant :

If the battery choices don't work, your next option is cruising ebay for a used Galaxy S.

Silicon Savant :

If you give me a minute I can see what kind of deals are out there........

Customer:

OK... I have a friend of mine that has a Samsung ...same phone, same battery so I can try that, and I shall try charging it too.

Silicon Savant :

good plan.

Customer:

Sure sounds gr8!

Silicon Savant :

one minute.....

Customer:

Umm, am I being charged by the minute here?

Silicon Savant :

no. :)

Customer:

Oh ok!

Silicon Savant :

do you have the specific model numer of your phone?

Silicon Savant :

Looks like you can pick one up between 200-250. Expensive little sucker......

Silicon Savant :

Hopefully a battery fixes you.

Silicon Savant :

Hope this helps,

Silicon Savant :

If this answer helped you please click the ACCEPT button.

Customer:

Yeah mine is a Samsung Galaxy S i9000 it came directly from the factory, so it has the HOME button at the bottom middle

Customer:

OFCOURSE It helps eases my mind now a bit! THANK U SOOOO MUCH!

Customer:

have a gr8 day!

Silicon Savant :

you too.

Silicon Savant :

i9000 is running between 2-300 used.........

Silicon Savant :

Take care and dont forget to ACCEPT if I've helped you today.

Customer:

Yeah. If I do buy one though I will want to get a NEW one :) Will do! ACCEPT!

Daniel, Engineer
Experience: BSEE (Electrical Engineer), 10+ years electronic design experience ,chip, board, component expert