Mike, Cell Phone Technician
Experience:  6+ Years Repair / Support / Troubleshooting / and Programming Experience

Iphone 3 wont charge or turn on... shows red battery and lightning

Iphone 3 won't charge or turn on... shows red battery and lightning bolt screen.. tried charging and other forum suggestions to no avail
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for posting your question on JustAnswer.com!

First thing is to perform a soft reset to ensure the issue is not software related. To perform a soft reset, hold BOTH the sleep/wake (button at the top of the device) AND home (button on the front just below the screen) buttons until you see the Apple logo appear. Note that you may have to hold them for 10-15 seconds, and if you get the slide to power off bar, ignore that and continue holding the buttons until you get the Apple logo. Once that logo appears, you can release both buttons. Then your device should boot up within a couple of minutes.

Once that has been completed, if the problem persists, the next step is to rule out the charging cable and or wall adapter. Try using the charging cable by plugging it into your computer (instead of the wall adapter). If it charges, that confirms the wall adapter is faulty. If it still does not, try a different cable, such as your car charger perhaps.

Keep in mind that it may take a few minutes for the iPhone to show any signs of charging once plugged in after you do the reset mentioned above. When it get depleted to the level you've mentioned, it is normal for it take a few minutes to respond.

Let me know if you need more help.

Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
I received a reply, but it is blank. If you meant to send a message, please resend. Thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Mike

Treid soft reset and it came back up with red strip on battery and lightning bolt image again... it's definately not the charger... tried another harger on wife's phone and it worls OK. Anyhting else I can try?

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Nothing else necessary... from that, that verifies a faulty battery. If your device is under warranty (less than a year old) you can have it replaced at no charge by contacting Apple. Otherwise, they do battery replacements for, $79 (I believe it is). If you'd like to replace it yourself, I'll be glad to help with that. Just let me know.

Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok thanks. If I buy one can I install myself easily?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
"Easily" is really relative to your skill level. I don't feel that its overly difficult. The important thing is having the correct tools for the job, perhaps even more importantly so when working with delicate internals like that contained within the iPhone. Here is video from DirectFix.com, which is very good site for obtaining parts, how-to videos, etc., for making repairs like changing the battery. I think watching the video will give you a better idea of how difficult it may or may not be for you. iPhone 3G battery replacement.

Regards,
Mike, Cell Phone Technician
Experience: 6+ Years Repair / Support / Troubleshooting / and Programming Experience