Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Cell Phone Engineer
Experience:  Cell Phone Repair Business Owner & CIS Degree
40218039

I need to download text messages & pics from my old phone,

Customer Question

I need to download text messages & pics from my old phone, a Palm Treo 700. How can I do this easily to import to my computer and put in an excell spreadsheet?
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 5 years ago.
Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer, a paid global support site.

You should be able to use this app (SMS2CSV) or (SMSCONVERT) to convert your Text Messages to a "CSV" file (which can be opened with Microsoft Excel 2007/2010 (most likely 2003).

To export the pictures from the Treo 700, you will need to connect your Treo via the data cable to a USB port on your PC. From there, you will need to do open your Treo Desktop and then within that program you should be able to "sync" the photos to your PC. If you don't have that program you can download it (HERE).

I haven't had a Treo in many years, but this is the method I used in the past.

Let me know if you need more assistance.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Will this just copy the information or will it remove it once it is downloaded? I have to keep it on my phone as well. (I am imagining that it is like when you download photos from card and it deletes the photos from the card once it is downloaded....which I do not want!)

So to get my text messages I have to use an app??? I cant download any apps to that phone as I have upgraded to a new one. I thought I would need to use the data cable to download the text messages too?

Where can I get a data cable? I moved and cant find any of the original stuff, and yes it is very old.

Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 5 years ago.
The information, in most cases, remains on your Treo once you download it. If you use the data cable, you will only be syncing in the photos (which means it will be the same on your PC and your Treo) and you will be exporting your text (copy from Treo to PC).

The application is for your computer not your Treo.

To get the 700 data cable, you will likely have to go through a 3rd party like eBay. I have found a cable for you (HERE).

Let me know if you need further assistance.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Mr Clark-

I received my data cable today. I was able to sync my contacts, but I have been unable to import my text messages. The two links you posted were empty and I couldnt do anything with. Can you please send me the links again or give detailed instructions on how to import/export text messages from my old phone to my computer?

Thank you

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

In the message section, Download Message is on the menu, but it will not let me select it. This begs the question why as that would seem the easiest method.

Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 5 years ago.
(SMS2CSV) or (SMSCONVERT) are the two programs to install on your PC.

Here is a comprehensive walkthrough for SMS2CSV - http://palmdiscovery.com/2007/05/08/how-to-series-transfer-your-sms-messages-to-csv/
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am still unable to see anything download with the two links for SMS. When I click on them it says blank page.

I went to the other link on how to and they also have a link to SMS but you have to have a user name and password that already exists.

Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 5 years ago.
(SMS2CSV) or (SMSCONVERT) <- Right Click and Select Save Target As or Save Link As and save the ZIP files to your Desktop location on your PC.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok I was able to get the sms downloads.

However, the instructions for how to convert involve accessing a backup file that doesnt exist on my computer because this is a new computer, old phone. There is no message database program file.

Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 5 years ago.
Are you able to backup/sync on the new computer? This will be needed in order to accomplish the task of exporting the text messages.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have only been able to get my contacts. I try to do the hotsync and nothing happens.
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 5 years ago.
Be sure that you have the latest version of the Palm Desktop installed (LINK).

From there you want to hook up the phone via cable and then do a backup/sync to your machine.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
well I downloaded that again, and got to where it says to "Press the Hotsync button to begin" on the data cord and nothing happens other than some beeping. The menu doesnt have any other options other than to skip this step. I dont want to skip it but nothing is happenening.
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 5 years ago.
And you do not have access to the old computer at all?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no its trash, long time ago. Why is the hotsync not working?