Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark , Cell Phone Engineer
Experience:  Cell Phone Repair Business Owner & CIS Degree
40218039

The screen of my iPhone has a USB connection and arrow pointing

The screen of my iPhone has a USB connection and arrow pointing to and Itunes Icon. The phone will do nothing else. I took it to an ATT store and they tried downloading Itunes and it did not work--they said it was fried.
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 5 years ago.
Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer, a paid global support site.

Unfortunately, if your iPhone has the iTunes/Adapter screen, your data is pretty much lost. The iPhone is in Recovery Mode, which means there was either an OS failure or the harddrive was wiped.

Now, if you had synced recently, you should have a backup (or maybe a few of them) that you can recover from to restore your contacts/pictures.

First, you will need to do a DFU Restore to ensure whatever corrupted your OS is wiped.

How to Perform a DFU restore (which is significantly different from a standard restore):

First, remove your SIM card. Then, with your iPhone is plugged in to your PC, hold the Home and Power until your iPhone powers down, continue holding Home and Power for a full 4 seconds.

If you are having trouble with this, please refer to the video below for assistance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofpinyGlQ8I

Release the Power while still holding the Home key until iTunes tells you the iPhone is in recovery (your iPhone screen will be black, but it is on) and then doing the restore to latest firmware.

After the restore, when prompted, select Restore From Backup and then select the date listed (if there are no backups, unfortunately, there is no way to recover the information).

The restore will complete and your iPhone will reboot again. Upon reboot, you will need to resync any apps, music, and videos to your iPhone from iTunes.

If you still have the iTunes/Adapter screen after DFU Restore or you cannot complete the DFU Restore, your iPhone has hardware failure. You will need to locate an Apple Store Genius Bar (http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/) to see if you can get it serviced or replaced.

If you are within your one year warranty and there is no water damage to the device (look in the bottom connector and headphone jack with a small flashlight for any pink or red colored marks) and there are no cracks on your screen, the Genius Bar will replace your iPhone with a new one.

If you are outside of your warranty and/or there is water damage or cracks on your screen, they will charge you $199+ to replace or service the iPhone.

These are pretty much your only options.

Feel free to ask any questions, as I am here to asisst you.