Richard S.
Richard S., Accounts and Device Specialist
Experience:  5 years working with major US carriers in billing, contracts, devices and network
46174997

If someone sends you a text message containing a ringtone,

Customer Question

If someone sends you a text message containing a ringtone, how do you make it into a ringtone on the phone? (the old phones had the option of saving it as a ringtone, but I can't find that feature on the droid 2)
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  Richard S. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, the issue is most likely that the formatt of the ring tone is not correct for the Droid, my guess is that the ringtone is being send from a older phone or from a iphone etc correct?

You can , however set any song that you download onto your memory card or onto the phone that the media player will play as a rintone ( you usually want it is MP3 formatt etc.) Here are the instructions for that!

1. Set any of your songs on your SDcard as a phone ringtone:

• From the Music player application library, navigate to a song you want to use as a phone ringtone
  • Touch & hold the song in the list to open the context menu. (You can also access same menu during song playback by pressing the Menu key)
  • Select Use as phone ringtone. The ringtone is set as your default incoming call ringtone and copied to your Phone ringtone list.

2. Choose Phone ringtones through settings menu:

• Press the Menu key
  • Touch Settings
  • Touch Sound
  • Touch Phone ringtone (If option is greyed out, make sure handset volume is not set to Silent Mode)
  • Select a Phone ringtone from the list. Press OK to set. (Music files you have set as Incoming Call ringtone from your SDcard will be included in this list along with downloaded and preloaded ringtones.

You can reply back even after you ACCEPT the answer, it does not close the question and we will keep working on this until we solve the issue for you!

PLEASE DO NOT leave Negative feedback! If you need more help PLEASE just reply to this question and I will keep working with you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I knew about the sd card, but the format sent is in the MP3 format, which is the correct format. Does the phone offer an option on how to save the mp3 format ringtone to the sd card? That is what I cannot figure out
Are you able to press and longhold on the file and save it to the phone? If not, can you forward the message to your gmail account and try to save it to the phone that way (scroll down and see if you cna locate the actual file when it is in gmail and try to save there.)
Experience: 5 years working with major US carriers in billing, contracts, devices and network
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Again, that is what I want to do, but how do you forward a text message to an email (gmail) account?? It will only let me reply to the person who sent it
you should be able to hit options and forward and then either type in your e-mail account OR save a new contact as "e-mail" with your email account in the phone number field (weird but should work)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When I touch the message, the ringtone automatically begins to play. I have tried pushing the options button, but it does not do anything but vibrate. No options come up on the screen. It will not allow me to do anything but reply only to the person who sent the message. When I view the message (before viewing the ringtone), I tried to press the options button before I opened the ringtone. The only options that show are "add subject, insert, set priority, delete"
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
by the way, this is text messaging that I am talking about, not email
Are you able to click and hold on the message (before it is openend) and wait a couple of seconds, does it give you the option to save to SD card?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried it and it gave one of the options as being "save slideshow" - is that how it is saved to sd card?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
one more question - when you told me that once it is saved to the sd card and how to go to it to save as a ringtone (settings, then sound, then ringtone), it comes up as having to choose from android system or zedge ringtones. How do I get to the sd card for the sound?
What do you get when you select Android system? Also, try opening it with your media player. Were you able to save it as a slideshow and then access it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It did not show up on either android or zedge. Also, I cannot pull up the sd card contents.

I am so sorry, let me opt out and see if anyone else has any idea on this. If no one can help,

Your funds will stay in your account for use on another question in the future or you can request a refund with the link below. Best of luck getting the issue resolved!

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you - I am sorry to have wasted your time, but I will say that you have tried harder than I could have hoped for - and I am going to go ahead and accept the answer for your efforts. Again, thank you and if anyone else can help, I would appreciate it!!
I really appreciate that and I am so sorry I do not have a solid answer on this one. My gut says that it is a limitation on the somwhat locked down android version on the Droid 2. Another thought, If you download the "handcent app" in the marketplace, which I love for messaging, and use it to open the message your friend sent you then you should be able to save them. That is the only way i know of where you don't have to use your computer/sd card.