Richard S.
Richard S., Accounts and Device Specialist
Experience:  5 years working with major US carriers in billing, contracts, devices and network
46174997

What can I do when my LG Touch screen suddenly goes blank

Customer Question

What can I do when my LG Touch screen suddenly goes blank?
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  Richard S. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, how long have you had this device and which esact model do you have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Bought from Radio Shack new 10 weeks ago. LGIP-401N on the battery. Where do I find model?
Hello, the model should be on the white sticker under where the battery goes on the back of the phone. Something like VX -xxxxx etc
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
White sticker is missing. My kid thinks radio shack removed it. Rumor touch....is that enough info?
Was this a brand new device when you bought it? There is NOTHING under where the battery goes on the back of the device (in the little bay where the battery fits) with bar codes etc on it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Bought it new out of the plastic casing in December 2010. About $150. Nothing under battery. I see where sticker was. Now he's blaming it on his brother.Number engraved in metal where sticker used to be may read VJ0027201. Number engraved in black casing body under battery is WS5.
Ok, interesting. So the device will work normally and then just stop working every now and then? Is it pretty beat up or in good condition? Do you see any little red or pink stickers on the back of the battery or under where the battery goes (round or tiny squares)?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No little pink or red or any other stickers. Kids stripped it clean I figure. No, it worked fine until a couple of days ago and the touch screen just went out - blank - and never came back on. Great condition -- not dropped or drowned or abused in any other way (except sticker removal). No dings or scratches on body. No cracks or scratches on touch screen.
Ok, try the steps below in this exact order and keep your fingers crossed

Remove the battery and SIM (if you have on, varies by carrier) from the phone and wait 20 seconds, then, with the battery still out, plug it into your wall charger, then place the battery and SIM back in and turn the phone back on.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No dice -- touch screen is still black. No SIM card and I'm using computer charger.
Is the phone actually turning on (lights and tones at all) or just Nothing at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's in vibrate mode and vibrates occasionally when screen is touched. Keypad lights up to say it's on. Tried turning up the volume. Don't know how that went without screen indication but didn't hear sound when I restarted it. Red light comes on (top left) to indicate startup and shutdown in progress.
ZBut no calls go through to it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Calling in to it, it went to voice mail; could not answer it. Calling out from it worked just fine.
What the heck. I am stumped on this :( I would say do a factory reset but that is not possible without the screen working
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Now I go to Radio Shack and raise hell? not even 3 months old! probably no warranty on touch screens?
2010!! sory, I thought 2009! Yes, that is what I would do, or who is the actual monthly service with?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Virgin Mobile. Does that matter? Is it worth the $5 per month insurance on these touch screens?
Not usually, but if the kids have them it may be. That or when they break one get them a cheap one on Ebay etc. The issue is the $5 per month and then USUALLY a $50 deductible when you need a new device. You SHOULD be able to get them to swap it out, OR you may have to contact Virgin as they are the ones that usually handle the warranty, I might even try them first adn then Radio Shack.

1.800.505.3565

let me know how this goes!

The last thing to try is to remove the battery and SIM (if you have on, varies by carrier) from the phone and wait 20 seconds, then, with the battery still out, plug it into your wall charger, then place the battery and SIM back in and turn the phone back on.

Please let me know if you need any additional assistance. Please click Accept to close out the question and so I get credit for it.

Thank you so much!!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm not willing to say that you didn't work or try but, I didn't get the answer that I was looking for which namely might have been 1) what went wrong, and 2) what do I do now? Nor do I want to be the first person not to hit the "I agreee" button. But, caan you tell me exactly what you did accomplish for me?
It is fine, if I did not help then dont click accept.

Your funds will stay in your account for use on another question in the future or you can request a refund with the link below. Best of luck getting the issue resolved!

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund