Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Cell Phone Engineer
Experience:  Cell Phone Repair Business Owner & CIS Degree
40218039

Thanks a lot. Sometimes my IPHone rings fine. Sometimes it

Thanks a lot. Sometimes my IPHone rings fine. Sometimes it doesn't ring at all (and it's turned on) but just registers a voiced mail. Why?

Also, how can I increase the really weak volume of the IPHone speakers?

Many thanks,

Bob Brustein
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  replied 3 years ago.
Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer, a paid global support site.

If your iPhone does not "ring" and you get a voicemail, this is common if your iPhone is out of range, has low service signal, no service signal, or you are using data while on the Edge data network (not the 3G network). I would suggest checking your service/data coverage in your area and if you are experiencing this in your home/office, you may want to look into getting a 3G booster if you have WiFi in your home/office (http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/why/3gmicrocell/)

The volume of your iPhone can be adjusted by going to Settings -> Sounds -> move the slider to make. As far as increase your call volume (earpiece), during a call, press the UP volume button on the left side of the iPhone to maximize the volume.

If you still are experience volume issues, it is likely that you have a defective in your speaker. You will need to see an Apple Store Genius Bar specialist to repair the speaker or replace your iPhone (free if you are still within your warranty period). You can make an appointment with a Genius Bar here (http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar).

Feel free to ask any questions, as I am here to assist you.
Mr. Clark, Cell Phone Engineer
Experience: Cell Phone Repair Business Owner & CIS Degree
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 3 years ago.
I do not appreciate the negative feedback. I answered all parts of your query with complete accurate answers with all scenarios covered. Please clarify what I did not answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Apologies. Please remove my negative feedback. I was confusing this q uestion w ith another one. Your answer. Was prompt and complete
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. I was confused about the feedback. I appreciate clearing it up.

Please email experts@justanswer.com and request that the negative feedback be removed. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I cleared up the problem syncing the IPhone myself by subscribing to MobileMe. I had more trouble syncing my new IPad, but somebody on the grounds was able to help me.

If I have any more problems, I will write to you, and give you the highst grades for your help.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
New problem. I justr bought an IPad, and while I receive email on it, I cannot send. The Mail account has MobileMe settings and now I have changed the alternate smtp settings to my Harvard account. But I still can't send. Any hints?

Many thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My IPhone is no longer syncing with my Mac. I recently bought MobileMe, as well as an IPad. But I don't know if that is related. I was advised to reset my IPhone settings. But there is no place on the phone or the computer that cues me to do that. Also, my IPad receives email but won't send it. I've checked the stmp settings which seem to be correct.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 3 years ago.
#1 - What service does your iPad use (if applicable) for 3G? AT&T or Verizon?

#2 - Does your iPad still sync?

#3 - What version of the iPhone do you have (2G/3G/3GS/4)?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
AT&T

I'm not sure the IPad syncs completely. For example, it is very selective on the calendar. I'll check and see if it is doing contacts.

My IPhone is 3G
Expert:  Mr. Clark replied 3 years ago.
iPad non-sending issue

Some universities/companies/ISPs have strict SMTP settings that basically you cannot send email from certain types of devices unless you are on their network or VPN. This is to prevent mass mailers and spam incidents.

AT&T has a SMTP server to resolve this issue for their iPad/iPhone/iPod devices.

On your iPad, go to Settings -> Mail Contacts Calendars -> your email account -> SMTP Server/Settings -> change the SMTP server to the AT&T SMTP Server -> Save the changes and then exit from the window.

Double tap your Home key to bring up the multitask menu, press and hold the Settings icon until the icons in the multitask menu shake. Then click the red symbol to "close" the Settings app and the Mail app (if open).

Now press the Home key to stop the shaking and then the Home key again to return to your springboard desktop.

Open the Mail app and see if you can send an email from the account in question.

iPhone 3G Not Syncing

You may have a corruption in your driver set and it may require a DFU restore to correct this.

How to Perform a DFU restore (which is significantly different from a standard restore):

First, remove your SIM card. Then, with your iPhone is plugged in to your PC, hold the Home and Power until your iPhone powers down, continue holding Home and Power for a full 4 seconds.

If you are having trouble with this, please refer to the video below for assistance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofpinyGlQ8I

Release the Power while still holding the Home key until iTunes tells you the iPhone is in recovery (your iPhone screen will be black, but it is on) and then doing the restore to latest firmware.

After the restore, when prompted, do not select Restore from Backup. Select Setup Up A New iPhone.

After the restore, you will need to resync all your apps/music to your iPhone.