Richard S.
Richard S., Accounts and Device Specialist
Experience:  5 years working with major US carriers in billing, contracts, devices and network
46174997

my droid says obtaining IP address but never does.What do

Customer Question

my droid says "obtaining IP address" but never does.What do I do?
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  Richard S. replied 5 years ago.
What exactly are you trying to do with the Droid (set up wifi, connect to e-mail etc?)

The first thing to Try is Remove the battery and SIM (if you have on, varies by carrier) from the phone and wait 20 seconds, then, with the battery still out, plug it into your wall charger, then place the battery and SIM back in and turn the phone back on.
There are several other things we can do, but this is the first step. If it works please go ahead and Click Accept as that is how I get credit and if it doesnt work let me know and we will keep working on it!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
did not work, still looking for ip address
Ok, what exactly are you doing on the device? I.e. where are you seeing it is looking for a IP address (is it loading a web page etc/)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
on thewifi networks page in menu
Ok, and youa re tyring to connect to a WIFI network that is either open or that you have access to?

WHat happens when you open up a web page ?

Also, is it your router that you cna reset?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes; I reset the router and I'm trying to connect to awifi network thru my router but it keeps searching for IP address.I am using static IP address on advanced page of setup.
Have you had issues getting the device to connect to a wifi before?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes
So you are not able to connect to other networks as well? Have you EVER been able to get the device to work via wifi?

Also, have you tried tunring off the data network (2G/3G) and see if that helps?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do you do that?
Some people have reported problems connecting to WiFi initially, but changing security settings has helped. I started with WEP and it didn't work, but switching to WPA2 worked fine. I then switched back to WEP and things still worked fine. I ended up going back to WPA2 again, and everything is fine. Hopefully this will help
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am disappointed in this interaction and would like it if you do not charge me for it.It did not work and I am very frustrated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't know what a WPA2 is.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes it works on a wifi in N.C. and Utah
I am sorry but I had already requested a refund for you as you requested previously and our refunds team will process that. Sorry for the trouble and best of luck with the device!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your time
Best of luck