Richard S.
Richard S., Accounts and Device Specialist
Experience:  5 years working with major US carriers in billing, contracts, devices and network

My Droid wont turn on. The screen simply has the M logo on

My Droid won't turn on. The screen simply has the M logo on it, but nothing else works. I really want to try to avoid going back to factory settings because I have a lot of info on the phone that I can't afford to lose. I've tried taking the battery out, recharging, and pressing the power key -- all to no avail. What can I do to fix it? Thanks.
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  Richard S. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, is this the original Droid (Motorola A855?)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How can you tell? I'm pretty sure the answer is yes. It's an earlier model for sure. Droid Motorola, Verizon
Got ya. Well you have already done the same trouble shooting that we would recommend (remove and replace battery, place on cahrger etc.)

Can you provide a little more info on what happened?

Also, what information are you concerned with loosing on the device?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
phone was working fine tonight -- but then I powered it off for class and when I tried to turn it back on again, all I got (and keep getting) is the black screen with the Motorola logo. That goes on and off every now and then, but nothing else happens. So I've tried taking the battery out, leaving it out and then putting it back in -- nothing. I've tried charging it -- nothing. I don't want to reboot to factory settings because I have too much info on there I would hate to lose - photos, numbers, contact info, etc.
Ok, so it could either be a battery issue (I would leave it on to charger for a good 30 minutes and if you have been using the wall charger to charge it use the USB instead from your computer and visa versa.)

If that still does not work then we probably have limited options. However, assuming you have your gmail account on it, all your contacts, calendar etc will come back when the gmail account is set back up and your can go to the marketoplace and download the apps you had installed (you will have a option to re-download them but will loose all app data.)

Pictures and music SHOULD be stored to your memory card so that will be ok too unless you manually changed the location (which is ahrd to do.)

You can reply back even after you ACCEPT the answer, it does not close the question and we will keep working on this until we solve the issue for you!

PLEASE DO NOT leave Negative feedback! If you need more help PLEASE just reply to this question and I will keep working with you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What are the limited options? The phone doesn't turn on at all now.
Prayer.....honestly there are not many. A device stuck ina boot loop is not even turning on completely

Lets try booting in safe mode. Also, did you recently add any apps (we should try to figure out what the issue might have been that caused this) or was the battery almost drained before you shut it off?

• With the phone off, slide open the keyboard open
• Press and hold the Power+Menu button (on the keyboard)
• Continue to hold until the "Droid Eye" comes up and you feel the phone vibrate
• Phone should start up and say "Safe Mode" in the bottom left-hand corner

Let me know if that works
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The phone goes to the motorola logo when I have it plugged into the wall and not the computer.

I didn't recently add any apps and the battery was not almost drained when I turned it off initially.

When you say, "with the phone off" -- there's no way for me to turn it off, the logo remains on there - it that okay?

Which one is the menu button?
Just take the battery out to turn the phone off. It needs to be off when you start this process. The menu key is the one with the horizontal lines on it by the ALT key, you have to use the menu key on the keyboard, not the soft key under the screen though
Experience: 5 years working with major US carriers in billing, contracts, devices and network
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The power key on top, right, not one on the keyboard somewhere? I ask only because jackshit is happening and I'm not sure I'm doing it right. Even without the battery, if I have the power cord in the phone, the logo shows -- without the cord, it doesn't. Do I leave the power cord plugged into the phone when I do this?
thanks a lot.
Nope, power button is the normal power buttons. I would remove the device from the power charger and try this.

if it is not working then we are in trouble.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
With no power cord and no battery, absolutely nothing happens when I push those two buttons.
Sorry for the confusion. What I meant was to remove the battery in order to turn it off, then put the battery back in (remove the power cord) and then put the battery back in and do the steps below

Sorry for the confusion!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, absolutely nothing happens. If the phone is plugged in to the power cord, the logo appears intermittently with a black screen. Otherwise, nothing. Is there anything else I can try? Thanks.
Man, that sucks. I am so sorry. Try leaving it on the USB charger for a while or if you can swing by the verizon store and have them try a different battery (MAY be the battery and not the phone)

They may also be able to reload the software if it is a boot kernel issue. I am so sorry. :(
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX it was worth a try.