Richard S.
Richard S. , Accounts and Device Specialist
Experience:  5 years working with major US carriers in billing, contracts, devices and network
46174997

I have an LG enV3 and the external speaker does not work properly.

Customer Question

I have an LG enV3 and the external speaker does not work properly. You can barely hear anything that the person on the other end says, but they can hear me fine. I just had the phone replaced and there is no water damaged and I have not dropped it. My last phone's speaker was low as well, but it was not THIS low. I have to talk on speakerphone to hear the other person.

Any solutions?
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  Richard S. replied 5 years ago.
Has this phone always been like this or did it start out fine and now has gotten worse?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It started out fine. I've only had it for a week of so. The speaker was really loud for maybe 3 days, then stopped working properly.

You can reply back even after you ACCEPT the answer, it does not close the question and we will keep working on this until we solve the issue for you!

PLEASE DO NOT leave Negative feedback! If you need more help PLEASE just reply to this question and I will keep working with you!

The first thing to Try is Remove the battery from the phone and wait 20 seconds, then, with the battery still out, plug it into your wall charger, then place the battery back in and turn the phone back on.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
that did not work.
Darn, ok,

You have to go in and turn off voice privacy and Enhanced Voice, both of which are in your settings. The enhanced voice will make the speaker go quiet when there is nothing going on in the background to make sure you don't hear noises that could be mistaken as talking. Annoying as all get out but nothing that will require you to replace your phone.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I found the voice privacy thing and turned it off, but I cannot find "enhanced voice" anywhere.
Ok, actually this model may not have the enhanced vocie on it. I think they ended it with the 8100, which is a bout 2 years before this model.

Try a reset (pull the battery) and see if it is any better
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Nope, that didn't work either.

Doesn't that only work with software issues?
Is the speaker a software issue?

It sounds like the volume is stuck at a super low level, and even though I have gone in and turned the volume all the way up, it still isn't getting any louder.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Any other tricks that you know of? or do i need to take the phone back?
Darn, I walwyas start with the assumption it is software or settings as if it is hardware (sounds like it is) then there is nothing we cna do about that, so I always leave that as a last option.

I would be taking it back to the store and so sorry I do not have better news. One last question, if you use a headset does it work at normal volume?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't have a headset to try it out.
Darn, ok. Will they let you return it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm not sure. I am assuming that since it hasn't been 30 days yet and there is no physical damage, that they should let me. But I guess we'll see!
Great, and there is a 1 year warranty or should be. Did you get this direct from verizon?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes. I took my old one in for a software update because it kept turning itself off. They told me i needed a new phone, so they switched everything over to this one.
Ahhh, I was wondering what was going on as this phone is not currently in their line up. Almost certainly a refurbished phone (which is normally just fine) but that explains the wonky speaker.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Will they give me another refurbished one?
I doubt they have anything but anymore. They go through the same testing as new phones and are almost always fine. This is just a REALLy weird issue, so it helps explain why it is there.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay, well thank you for trying to help! I really appreciate your time!
No problem and sorry it was a bad phone...!!! Lets cross our fingers for the next one!