MOBILE_GURU
MOBILE_GURU, Cell Phone Tech
Experience:  15 yrs communications exp
36856233

WHAT ANDROID 2.2 TOUCHSCREEN IS FINGERNAIL FRIENDLY

Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  MOBILE_GURU replied 5 years ago.
Hi there and thank you for using Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to try and assist you with your issue. To date there are really two major types of touch screens, capacitive or resistive. For your very specific question, if you are wanting to stick with Android based devices, there are a few phones which have had more success than most in this area, although not bulletproof is the HTC Incredible, Samsung Galaxy S phones and the EVO 4G. The EVO is on Sprint and you would like something on Verizon, which leaves you with the HTC Incredible or Samsung Galaxy lineup. The Incredible and Samsung employs a technology called Atmel maXTouch sensory technology. This is something under the hood sort of speak and not something wildly advertised. This is one of the most advanced multi touch screens on the market today. The new Samsung Galaxy tablet at Verizon also has this technology but its not a phone. Keep in mind Samsung has a line up of Galaxy phones on the Verizon network, not just one so take a look at those and test them out. That would be my best recommendation.

If you need further assistance please let me know. You can always ask a question related to this topic after clicking accept. Please click the green accept button below and consider leaving positive feedback. Also, bonuses are GREATLY appreciated. Thank you. Michael
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Michael,
Thank you for your quick response. Are you saying the HTC Incredible's technology
has a sensitivity setting? Also is the LG vortex a possibility? Are there any touch friendly screens? (fingernail friendly or stylus friendly)
thank you
I can say from personal experience with regards XXXXX XXXXX stylus my Moto Droid works well with my Targus Stylus ($15) at Best Buy. I have not used my stylus with other phones except the iPhone which it worked well with that too but these are capacitive touch screens so they all basically work with electricity believe it or not that emanates from your hand or finger, then transferred through the stylus onto your touch screen. I honestly think your best bet is going to be a phone using a stylus since nails aren't the greatest for touch screens (nails don't conduct electricity well) as you have no doubt figured out. On a personal note I went through this very issue with my wife and eventually she landed on a phone and stylus. The great thing about the stylus is most recent phones will allow you to use it so your selection opens up quite a bit.

The LG Vortex has done well since it's recent introduction but I have yet to play with it myself. It does have a 3.2" screen with similar capacitive touch screen technology. Although it's inherently slower than the Incredible since it has a 600 MHz processor and a less capable camera at 3.2MP. The Incredible sports a 4.3" screen and 1000 MHz processor and 8MP camera. I will say the Incredible has been a little flaky with the Android software. At the end of the day it's going to be about personal preference on your phone choice. Using a stylus with any of these units will open up more possibilities for you.

One last thing, you asked if the Incredible has a sensitivity setting. There is a calibration setting to help adjust the screen to your press style and to adjust keyboard touch accuracy.

I hope this has been helpful. If you have any further questions please let me know or please click the accept button below and consider leaving positive feedback. Bonuses are also greatly appreciated. Thank you very much. Michael.

Edited by MOBILE_GURU on 12/3/2010 at 10:48 PM EST
Hi there, is there anything further I may assist with? If not please accept my answer so I may receive credit for the time I spent crafting my answers. Thank you. Michael.