Daniel P.
Daniel P. , Wireless Consultant
Experience:  Extensive experience with AT&T and Alltel/Verizon in areas of tech support and consulting!
48810790

How do I unlock my Motorola Droid A855 cell phone. It is currently

How do I unlock my Motorola Droid A855 cell phone. It is currently locked on verizon and I want to unlock it so I can choose a diff provider.
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  Daniel P. replied 5 years ago.

Hello my name is Daniel.

What network are you planning on using the phone on?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Daniel, I have two droid phones. One is mine and one is my wifes. We are going to use the Net10 prepaid minutes. I own both phones and want to go to net10.

Thank you Scott

Expert:  Daniel P. replied 5 years ago.

Scott,

Thank you for the information. The problem you're facing is that Net10 utilizes the GSM network and borrows the AT&T and T-Mobile towers to obtain connectivity. Verizon phone operate on the CDMA network and are not compatible with GSM networks and usually cannot be unlocked. Your best bet is to obtain a Net10 device. Even if you obtain a GSM device, unlocking of another GSM device to Net10 is very difficult and usually fails.

Just let me know if you have any follow-up questions, otherwise please make sure you click 'accept'. Thanks :)

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Daniel,

What CDMA networks are there then other than Verizon Wireless? I want a prepaid network and don't want Verizon. Help.

Expert:  Daniel P. replied 5 years ago.

Scott,

Another CDMA network would be Sprint. There are several smaller CDMA networks such as US Cellular but Sprint is the major player.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok Daniel,

Then sprint PREPAID it will be. HOW DO I UNLOCK THE DROID PHONE FROM VERIZON? DO YOU NEED THE IME#?

SCOTT

Expert:  Daniel P. replied 5 years ago.

Scott,

CDMA phones are largely not unlockable, not because it's impossible, but because it's impractical. Unlike GSM phones, it's not as simple as calculating an unlock code by using the IMEI. The reason it's so impractical is because the only way to 'unlock' the CDMA phones is for the original company to remove the phone from its database and release the phone. Companies will absolutely not do that. The reason I'm saying its not impossible is because there have been cases to where employees of Verizon and Sprint have done this and gotten fired over it, but even if you achieve this, your next obstacle would be to get the phone activated with Sprint. Sprint will have to accept the CDMA phone into their phone database, unlike with GSM phones. Again, your best bet is to purchase a phone with the company you're planning to use, UNLESS we're talking about GSM equipment.