Richard S.
Richard S., Accounts and Device Specialist
Experience:  5 years working with major US carriers in billing, contracts, devices and network
46174997

how can i unlock my droid 2 phone to run on another cdma n

Customer Question

how can i unlock my droid 2 phone to run on another cdma network
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  Daniel P. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name isXXXXX short answer is that it can't be done. However, what CDMA network were you wanting to unlock it to?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Bell network in Canada - they use a CDMA network.
Expert:  Daniel P. replied 3 years ago.

Ok, thank you for the info. Here's the scoop on your situation.

In order to 'unlock' a CDMA phone, you'll need a special code that ONLY the current provider (in this case Verizon) can provide. The staff at Verizon are not allowed to publish this information but some have done it and have been terminated. There are no unlocking services or companies that you can pay to have them do this for you. It must be done by a Verizon employee and the employee will risk his or her job by giving out the information. This alone pretty much limits the chances of an unlock to slim-none. Even if you managed to unlock the device, MOST CDMA companies will only activate phones that are listed in their HEX/MEID database. In other words, if the Droid 2 serial number is XXXXX listed as a Bell Canada phone, then they will refuse to activate it. As you can tell, while it's TECHNICALLY possible to get it done, it's highly improbable.

Please let me know if you have further questions, otherwise please don't forget to click 'accept'. This is the only way I get credit for my work. Thanks :)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: I was already aware of the information provided and wanted an to know if anyone had any success unlocking the droid 2 phone to use on a different cdma network other than verizon - which i indicated in my question ... so really the answer i received was not the type of information i was looking for.
I was already aware of the information provided and wanted an to know if anyone had any success unlocking the droid 2 phone to use on a different cdma network other than verizon - which i indicated in my question ... so really the answer i received was not the type of information i was looking for
Expert:  Richard S. replied 3 years ago.

Yes, you cna use a Verizon device on another CDMA network WITH the same frequencies (800 and 1900 mhz). I have assisted in doing this for use with Alltell and with Metro PCS here in the states and I know of several users who have done it in South Korea.

The issue still lies in what Daniel said above about your carrier allowing what they would consider a "Gray" markey device onto their network. This would either have to be done by reasigning the ESN?MEID from another phone to this phone, and that takes some ninja level hacking skills for the phone OR by using a carrier that will add your ESN/MEID into their network OR has a open policy like Metro PCS> You cna test this yourself by calling and trying to add the ESN/MEID in question and see if they system will take it or they will say it is invalid. Just tell them it is some other model that they allready have.

If they say it is invalid you are going to have issues getting them to edit their approved MEID/ESN list.

Let me know if you have any mroe questions on this and interesting question.....might be easier to switch carriers hehe.
Experience: 5 years working with major US carriers in billing, contracts, devices and network
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
again...this is similar to the information I already have ... what I am looking for is if any one has had any luck with this process of switching from Verizon to Bell. I'm not looking for information that is already available on the net regarding this issue.
Really? I just told you the answer and what to do to check it. Do a little leg work buddy! 5 minutes will tell you if you cna do it or not.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was not trying to be rude in my response --- simply frustrated that it appears there is no way around unlocking the phone from Verizon -- seems a waste!!!

I was told by Bell only once the phone has been unlocked -- then we could use the phone on their network. However, it appears that I will have to go through Verizon -- and they will not commit to unlocking the phone -- so the only other solution is to dig deeper for a solution. I would appreciate any other input you could give in trying to unlock this device.
The unlocking of the phone is not really the issue, that is pretty easy. But it is not like GSM where you activate a SIM, if the MEID for that phone is not in their system AND/OR they dont have a open system, then the locking or unlocking is irrelevant. The first thing you need to do is get A MEID for a Droid or SOME device that they do not have on their system and have them check if it is eligible to activate. Tell them it is a spare phone you want to check on or something, they will plug it in to the system and you will know how to proceed. If it works you should be fine, if not, then it doesnt matter if you unlock the Droid from verizon as it still wont work.

Sorry I was touchy, I have had some real d-bags in here of late...nothing like doing 2 hours worth of work for someone, fixing the issue and they think that since THEIR carrier screwed up that the person who fixed it doesnt deserve to be paid.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for youi input -- our carrier which is Bell indicated that we could not use this phone on their network or change out the MEID. Will look to give the phone away to someone in the US who can use Verizon -- a lot less hassle.
Sell the darn thing on Ebay and take the money and buy something from BELL! They have to have at least a Galaxy S model right?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have the Galaxy S -- and your probably right I should sell on Ebay -- awaiting the tablets that are coming out for the Samsung Galaxy -- could probably put the money towards that.
I know that ebay is very user friendly -- but have never used it.
I would 100% sell it! As long as youa re OK shipping to the US. I have bought and sold thousands of phones on Ebay...you should be able to get a couple hundred out of it at least!

I played with the Smasung Tab the other day...AWESOME!!