Richard S.
Richard S., Accounts and Device Specialist
Experience:  5 years working with major US carriers in billing, contracts, devices and network
46174997

i entered the wrong unlock code more than ten times and now

Customer Question

i entered the wrong unlock code more than ten times and now my sim card is invalid. now it wont let me enter the mep unlock code
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  Richard S. replied 5 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. Which company is your phone with (AT&T, T-Mobile etc?)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
verizon. its a blackberry storm9530
Ok, but are you overseas with the Storm? Verizon does not use GSM (SIM ) cards on their domestic network, so the SIM being invalid would not matter unless you were over seas. You could just take out the SIM if you do not need to travel International. is that something youa re doing right now or need to do?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
im trying to unlock the phone but i cant because i have to have a valid sim card. it is asking me if i want to enter the mep unlock code when i turn it on and when i click yes it doesnt do anything. i am trying to use it with att
Ok, do you have a AT&T sim in there or the Verizon/Vodafone SIM?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
right now it is the verizon. it does the same thing when i put in the att sim card
Oh boy.

Ok, so when you say unlock code, are you talking about the keyboard/device unlock code to access the phone or the MEP (Subsidy unlock code) that you got from somewhere that you need to unlock the phone to use on another carrier like AT&T?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
its asking for the mep. i called a verizon store and the rep told me to put in the wrong code until the phone shuts. now i am having this problem
Ok,

What he told you to do was enter the incorrect lock code so that the device does a factory reset, which happens after entering the incorrect PHONE lock code, not the MEP lock code, which you enter in another place.

So I guess lets start from the beginning.

1. Where did you get the Storm (i.,e. do you have it ona verizon account currently)?
2. Where did you get the MEP code from (Verizon I am hoping.)
3. What exactly led up to you entering the MEP code incorrectly 10 ntimes and WHERE in the phone did you enter it?

We should be able to get you sorted out, I just need to know what I am dealing with :)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
my friend upgraded to a better phone and gave me that one. my friend had to get the code from verizon. the rep from a verizon store told me to enter the wrong code until it resets. i went to options, then advanced options, then sim card, then typed in mepd, then typed in mep2 and i entered the wrong code more than ten times and the phone reset. now it wont let me enter the mep code.
Wow...hehe, I hate when employees dont know crap about their own phones... here is what you needed to do.

1. Enter the Main Menu by pressing the BlackBerry Logo

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
    button
  2. Select 'Options' (this will be shown as Settings on some handsets)
  3. Select 'Advanced Options'
  4. Select 'SIM card'
  5. Type M E P D (you will not see the characters appear on the screen when typing - it doesn't matter about capitals and ignore the spaces - this is just to clearly show you the characters). You should now see the Personalisation menu (if you do not, please see Troubleshooting section at the bottom of this page)
  6. Type M E P
  7. Press the ALT key (usually located at the bottom left of the keypad)
  8. Type 2 (this is the E key)
  9. A box should appear asking you to enter the Network MEP Code - this is your unlock code, enter it here. If no box appears, see troubleshooting section at the bottom of this page.
  10. Press Return/Enter, You should receive a 'Code Accepted' message - If you received 'Code Error, please wait', type MEP 'alt' 2 and then try the next code, or see Troubleshooting.
  11. Turn the handset OFF then ON again and the handset will be permanently unlocked and can be used on any compatible GSM network, worldwide!
I am not sure what the hell it is doing right now and it MAY have burned that Verizon SIM card.

You have anything on that phone you need to keep?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the box wont appear and there is no troubleshooting option. it is saying that the network is blocked
Crap...ok, does the phone have a lock code on it? As in, when you lock the phone (screen lock) does it require you to enter a lock code to get back into the phone?

Also, could you please click accept, it does not close the question out and I will keep working with you untill we get it fixed, but ona question amount this low I want to make sure I dont do a bunch of work and not get credit. Thanks!!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no it dont. what if you dont help fix the problem, then i would be wasting my time also
You promise you will click accept? :)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
if you can fix my problem
Ok, on the phone, go to Settings > Options > Password XXXXX set a password (just write it down so you know what it is.)

TAKE OUT THE SIME CARD FIRST! it may allready be burnt, but maybe not

Then, go back to the main menu and lock the phone (key at the top of the phone) once you have a password XXXXX the phone, enter it INCORRECTLY 10 times, about every 5th time it will ask you to type "Blackberry" after the 10th time it will reset and wipe the phone. This is what the Verizon guy was referring to.

Then put the SIM back in and try the unlock code again. Try it first with the Verizon SIM and if that does not work switch to the ATT sim.

Let me know!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

didnt work. its saying when it comes on, mep check failed, do you want to enter the mep unlock code. when i press yes, it does nothing. it is saying sim not valid. also on the personalization screen it says sim disabled, network blocked, network subset disabled, service provider disabled, corporate disabled. what now

Did you try it with the Verizon and ATT sims both?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes. its like it is not reading the sims. it keeps saying invalid sim card
Ok, and this is after you did the incorrect code 10 times and it did a full factory reset right>?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes
Ok, what is going on here is the equivalent of a PUK lock code on AT&T or T-Mobile. Are you familiar with what that is?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no
Ok, bacsically it is a SIM lock code that comes when someone enters the incorrect phone password XXXXX than a few times. It locks the phone usually and requires this code. If the incorrect code is entered more than 10 times it permanently locks the SIM. BURNS the SIM NO way around getting a new SIM.

So when you did the MEP code entry too many times (not the correcty way of unlocking the phone) it burned the SIM. But since your phone is still locked to Verizon it wont recognize the ATT sim.

Essentially, you need a new Verizon SIM.

Or, I would just sell the damn thing on Ebay and go buy a unlocked one or something else cool. Unless your buddy have a Verizon SIM from a International phone laying around.
Sorry for the bad news man. We have all screwed stuff like this up, it is how we learn so dont feel too bad.

Ask around if anyone has a Verizon SIM as many of their phones have them now even though almost no one uses them over seas
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks
No problem man. See if you can find one and let me know. You can come back and reply back to this. I will be around even if it is a few days out etc.