Richard S.
Richard S., Accounts and Device Specialist
Experience:  5 years working with major US carriers in billing, contracts, devices and network

my samsung galaxy s vibrant froze and vibrates intermittently.

my samsung galaxy s vibrant froze and vibrates intermittently. I removed the batter and restarted and it stays stuck on the galaxy i9000 start up screen and it continues to vibrate intermittantly. any ideas??
Hello and thank you for the question. I am sorry but it looks like you are stuck in a OS boot loop. You allready did about the only thing you can do to correct this (hard reset by taking the battery out.)

Lets try one last thing.

Remove the battery from the phone and wait 20 seconds, then, with the battery still out, plug it into your wall charger, then place the battery back in and turn the phone back on. Note that it requires plugging it into a wall charger. Also, was the battery run down when this first started?

I that does not work AND the battery was not drained when you first had this issue, the only thing you can do is a full factory reset which WILL erase everything on the device (memory card will be fine.)

1. Turn the power off. If your Samsung Vibrant is frozen, pull the battery out and reinsert it
  2. Hold the Volume Down button
  3. Press and release the Power button
  4. You are now presented with a menu that allows for Fastbook, Recovery, Clear Storage, and Simlock
  5. Select Clear Storage by pressing the Volume Down button
  6. Press and release the Power button
  7. Now simply confirm your decision: Volume Up for YES and Volume Down for NO

If you selected YES, all data including third-party applications will be deleted from the Samsung Vibrant. Once the wipe is complete, the phone will reboot to its factory fresh state.

- If it works, please click Accept as that is how I get credit. If not, let me know and we will keep working on it. Bonus NOT necessary but ALWAYS appreciated!!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
restarting with volume down and power button does not take me into any menu. I know that holding volume up, home button and power button takes me into system recovery for my mode (galaxy s i9000). Is that what you mean? If so there is no option for clear storage. the only thing that sounds similar is wipe/data factory reset. What should i do.
Thank you very much
It might be a little bit of a timing issue with the keys. Simultaneously, hold the volume down button and press the power button Nd release and the menu should pop up.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ive tried multiple times with that method but it doesnt seem to work. I can easily get it into the mode I menioned above though. Dont know what im doing wrong. I hold volum down and simultaneoulsy power up. I let go when the logo pops up. I also tried letting go at various different time with no luck.
It is ok, these things can be a pain. make sure you do it like this.

1. Yank the battery.
2. WHILE HOLDING THE VOLUME DOWN put the battery in and give it a second
3. While still holding the volume down key, press and release the power button

Still no menu?
You say Vibrant, but does yours have a keybord?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok i did something that im not sure is good or not. I held volume down while pressing the home key and power. A yellow triangle witht he adroid fellow appeared. It says "downloading" "Do not turn off target". What should i do? I'm an idiot! Help!
Haha, is it plugged into a computer via USB?

You put it in download mode, used to update or wipe the OS. Yank the battery again.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank. I pulled the battery held volume down and powered up but nothing. Just goes back tot he logo screen where it freezes. To yor previous question it does not have a keyboard. Its the i900 international version. it has one home button with one botton on either side of it.
Really freaking weird, I have done this on about 100 phones and never had it not work.

Ok, the recovery mode you mention above, does that allow you to get into the phone, into the settings menu?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the options there are:

- reboot system now (i tried this woth no change)
- apply sd
- wipe data/factory reset
- wipe cache partition
- format internal s- card
Hahaha,,,that is totally the menu you wanted, weird settings but whatever...

So, go to and select the 3rd one down, Wipedata/factory reset
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok data wiped. reboot?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ahahahaha Great! it worked. all in chinese how can i get it to english.
Are you freaking serious!?!? Haha, where the hell did you get this phone?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hahaha...pacific mall in toronto...chinese

All I cna find is the steps on the nexus one,. they keys are not the same but the OS is very close!! try it following the steps below, you may need to play around with it a bit.

In case anyone else has a problem like this, here's how to find the "Language & keyboard settings" and change the language used by the Nexus One:
Touch the second control from the left, underneath the screen. It's the menu button. It consists of four horizontal lines, and the topmost line is a little longer than the rest.
When the menu pops up, the item at the lower right is the Settings icon. It looks like a circular knob with a little dial in the middle. Touch that icon.
What pops up next is the Settings screen. Scroll it down all the way to the bottom.
The fifth entry up from the bottom is "Language & keyboard". Its icon is a square with an "A" in it. Touch that entry.
The screen that comes up is "Language & keyboard settings". The topmost item is "Select Locale". Touch that item.
You now can scroll through a list of languages. Each language is named in its own character set, so you can easily find your desired language. Touch the one you want.
The menus and icons on your Nexus One will now all be labeled in your selected language.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks lot for your help. If i cant get it ill bring it back to the china man i bought it from.
thanks again
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks again

Haha, well good luck! My guess is it was in chinese when he unlocked it so it defaulted back to that when reset!

Go get Titanium Backup (android APp for free in the App market) and use it to save all your info in the future, so if you ever have to do this again you wont loose your info!

Good luck, thanks for a challenge and a few laughs!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
take care