Mike, Cell Phone Technician
Experience:  6+ Years Repair / Support / Troubleshooting / and Programming Experience

My-Phone screen doesnt respond to touch.... it happened before

My-Phone screen doesn't respond to touch.... it happened before about a week ago and after several hours it worked again, just fine. Now it doesn't. I have cleaned the screen carefully with glass cleaner -- just a very little. The screen doesn't have a plastic covering--I took that off last time because it was very smudged up and I thought that was the problem.
I have also washed and rinsed and dried my hands carefully.
This is not a brand new one but maybe the model before the latest--my son gives me his old ones because he always wants the newest.
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Mike :

Hi, what kind of phone do you have?

Mike, Cell Phone Technician
Experience: 6+ Years Repair / Support / Troubleshooting / and Programming Experience
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
What kind of phone do you have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What on earth is going on? I didn't get an answer from you --Mike--and now someone else is supposed to be responding...
Why are there two? I am about to give up except now I seem to owe you money and seem to have subscribed.
This is getting to be extremely annoying.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
It seems you are very confused... Nobody else is responding and I've been trying to give you an answer but you will not respond to my request for additional information. I'll post it again:

What kind of phone do you have? If you can't answer this question, I'll have to opt out.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did answer that. I have a thing at the bottom of my computer screen that says something about "Japush" sending me data so I've been waiting for that.

It is an I-Phone. Not the very latest model but the one before. My son gives me his when he gets a new one.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Sorry, but your posts make no mention of an iPhone... Everything is recorded above.

Regardless, I'm glad that we now know what kind of phone you have so we can help you. Try a hard restart. This will usually fix problems like this. To perform a hard restart, hold BOTH the sleep/wake AND home buttons until the phone turns off and you see the Apple logo appear. Once that logo appears, you can release both buttons. Give the phone a minute to finish booting and reinitializing, and then see if the issue is resolved.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have already done that. I know that's one of the first things to try.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Ok, so no more time is wasted doing what you already know, what all have you done already?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
As I said the first time, I have also cleaned the screen carefully. It has no plastic sheet on it. And I make sure my hands are clean.
That's all I've done.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
But you just said you did a hard restart and didn't mention that the first time... Please be clear about what you've done already. Also, change your attitude or I'm done.

Edited by Mike on 9/4/2010 at 3:03 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Those are the two things I have done.
I described all this in my initial inquiry.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
This is not covered in your initial inquiry. Sorry, but because of all the communication issues, I'll have to opt out. I'm terribly sorry that you're having a difficult time using the site. Best of luck.

Edited by Mike on 9/4/2010 at 3:05 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What REALLY annoys me is that somewhere along I have subcribed to this service.

and I DID describe in my very first message... to the website in general.

So now how do I deal with this subscription that I do not want?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tried to ask these questions to customer service. That's where I wrote the inquiry with the questions above... not to you.
I won't even say how annoyed I am. Can you tell me a phone number for customer service? E-mailing them with the questions above doesn't seem to work..
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
I would like very much to help you. It is obvious that you are annoyed and frustrated, but this is only making things worse. If you would quit sending email to customer service, the experts, and everyone else and just relax and work with me, I can help you reach some sort of resolution. JustAnswer is a reputable site. If you've emailed customer service, they will respond, but they can't respond instantly. The more email you send, the longer it will take to get a response. Imagine 1000's of customers sending several emails about the same issue because they are too impatient to give it a little time. This slows down the response time tremendously. So I am politely trying to tell you that you are the cause of your own frustration. I don't' mean to offend or insult you. I am here to help, but we can't help a customer is too frustrated to exhibit reason. Since you've already paid, I would like nothing more to help you. If you'd like, we perhaps we can start again if you could kindly tell me what your phone is doing and what you've already done to try to rectify the problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'll send this before I finish getting ready to leave. But I'm already way behind--could have gone to an Apple store in all this time, even though there's not one very convenient to me.

The problem: My IPhone does not respond to my moving my finger on the screen. I have turned it on and off. I have washed the screen carefully with a non-sticky cleaner (glass cleaner) and rubbed dry. I have washed my own hands. There is no plastic screen cover.

It does not respond to the touch...therefore it is useless. I'll be leaving in about 20 minutes and, without I-Phone, can't communicate with you anymore.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
And it would have taken just as long at the Apple Store if you spent the first 30 minutes talking about how annoyed you were waiting in line and telling the Apple Clerk how you could have just went to JA in this amount of time. ;-)

Ok, you said you turned it on and off. Try a hard restart. This is different than turning it on and off. To perform a hard restart, hold BOTH the sleep/wake AND home buttons until the phone turns off and you see the Apple logo appear. Once that logo appears, you can release both buttons. Give the phone a minute to finish booting and reinitializing, and then see if the issue is resolved.

Edited by Mike on 9/4/2010 at 4:03 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I know where the on-off button (home) is but I don't know about the sleep/wake button... where is that?
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
That's the button on top of the phone.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well then it's the other one I don't know where it is.... the on/off.
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
The two buttons are the one on the front of the phone just below the screen, and the one on the top of the phone.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well... that seemed great --got into the screen with all the little boxes but doesn't work when I touch something--like the message icon, it either doesn't open or when I get there it won't work.-- the letters don't work when I try to type. There are three things displayed at the bottom--for mail, clock, and safari and sometimes they work and sometimes they don't.

One problem with "inheritng" a phone is I don't have a manual.

I do have to leave now... but I'll see my son and maybe he can help.
Otherwise, I will be back because the problem isn't really solved... yes, I can open it to the icon display but can't do much after that.
I assume this will still be open and somehow I can get back to you??? since the problem is not rresolved. Maybe it will somehow start working between now and then.
I'll turn it on and off/ hard, etc., a couple more times.

Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
If that doesn't solve the problem, the next step is to perform a factory reset. I've linked to a step-by-step illustrated tutorial that walks you through the process for your convenience here: iPhone Restore Procedure. If your screen still doesn't work after that, that verifies that it is a faulty screen. You'll need to replace the screen or send it to Apple for repair if you're not capable of doing the repair yourself. Replacing the screen will, no doubt, resolve the issue. If you'd like to replace the screen yourself, I'll be glad to help with that as well.

Edited by Mike on 9/4/2010 at 5:19 PM EST