Daniel P.
Daniel P., Wireless Consultant
Experience:  Extensive experience with AT&T and Alltel/Verizon in areas of tech support and consulting!

My Samsung Epic phone does not complete booting up. It loads

My Samsung Epic phone does not complete booting up. It loads the Sprint intro, but fails to load the OS onscreen. I cannot get passed a blank screen! Help!!
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  Daniel P. replied 6 years ago.

Does your phone just show a white screen or is it a black screen?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The Sprint logo plays, then the Samsung Galaxy S logo plays. Then the screen stays black.
Expert:  Daniel P. replied 6 years ago.

I have a few more questions please. Thank you for being patient.

1. How old is the phone?

2. Have you backed up your stuff?

3. Try plugging it into your computer and see if it's recognized. This way we can tell whether or not it's actually booted but just not displaying.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for helping me. While I was waiting for your reply, I did some research online that suggested that I let the battery drain. So I did. I have just now replugged the device and it's begining to charge. There is a large battery icon on the screen illustrating its charge progress.

The device is the Samsung Epic 4G on Sprint, I just got it earlier today (it was released today so it's brand new).

I don't mind doing a hard reset if necessary, my problem is that the screen wouldn't show anything after the introduction logos played. Do you suggest that I unplug from the wall and plug it into the computer now or should I wait until it's fully charged?

Thanks again for your help, I hope that you are patient and can provide me with a solution. I don't know if Sprint will be able to replace my new device tomorrow considering it was just released today.
Expert:  Daniel P. replied 6 years ago.

How can you be sure that the phone is fully drained without seeing the display? Was it drained to the point to where the phone wouldn't come on at all? Just curious before we proceed.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I was able to check if the battery was fully drained by attempting to power on the device. Whereas before it would turn on but show a black screen after the intro logos played, now it would not turn at all - the power light indicator as well did not turn on. So I am certain the battery was drained.
Expert:  Daniel P. replied 6 years ago.
Ok great. Go ahead and unplug it and attempt to power it on. Make sure that it behaves as it did before and goes to a blank screen. Once it does, plug it in and tell me if it's detected.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It did behave as before. I have plugged it into my computer (a current gen iMac running the latest Snow Leopard). It made an indication sound suggesting that it recognized it was receiving power from the computer, but it is not popping up in the finder as a drive.
Expert:  Daniel P. replied 6 years ago.

Ok. Here's what I've come up with, based on the information you have provided me, my own research, and my experience with Sprint and Samsung products.

Your problem seems to be embedded in the software which prevents your phone from booting up, this was verified by the result of our experiment when Leopard didn't detect the device (I know it made the noise, but that's just because the device had power).

You've got two options when it comes to something like this:

• Reload the software into the phone. This entails 'flashing' the phone, getting rid of the defective software and reloading it with a working one. The problem, however, is that there's a chance you may encounter problems doing this as the device isn't completely recognized when you plug it in. (NOT RECOMMENDED)

• Take your phone back and get a 30 day DOA replacement. Sprint is REQUIRED to give you an in-store replacement of your device as long as the phone is less than 30 days old, does not have physical damage, as long as they have it in stock. (DEFINATELY RECOMMENDED)

I wouldn't worry about the fact that the phone is so new. Your only worry is that they may not have it in stock. The only phone that cannot be replaced in store under 30 days are iPhones due to the agreement with Apple. You should be fine replacing this.

I'm sorry no 'easier' or more 'convenient' solution is available. I hope you get this taken care of asap. If you have any more questions for me, please hit reply.

PLEASE NOTE: If you've received an answer to your question, please hit ACCEPT. Your expert is paid a percentage of the deposit you've already placed. Your expert will NOT be compensated for his answers/research if you don't hit accept. You're welcome to hit reply for further concerns or questions.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your insight.
Expert:  Daniel P. replied 6 years ago.
My pleasure.