Daniel P.
Daniel P., Wireless Consultant
Experience:  Extensive experience with AT&T and Alltel/Verizon in areas of tech support and consulting!
48810790

Problem with XP recognizing Samsung Strive (AT&T phone) Is

Customer Question

Problem with XP recognizing Samsung Strive (AT&T phone) Is there a driver somewhere for this? I got the PC Studio installed from Samsung's web site, and the CD that came with the phone does nothing for helping look for drivers.

What I got from Samsung's site installs a set of folders in C:\Program Files\Samsung\USB
is:
Simmental
Siberian
Swallowtail
semesyite
Sloan
spencer
schorl
empchipset
hsp
hsp_plus_default
Symbian_usb_download_driver
symbian_samsung_pc_dlc_driver
shrewbury
emp_chipset2
zinia_serial_driver
via_driver
NXP_Driver
Searsburg
Wlbro_Wlmax

Nothing there looks like Strive
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  Richard S. replied 6 years ago.
Hello there and sorry for the trouble. If you are just looking for a USB driver for your computer and not a sync driver (like what is available through PC Studio, then the link below should give you the driver you need.

DANGEROUS URL REMOVED
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it says "DANGEROUS URL REMOVED"
That is weird, I use that downloader all the time.

Anyways, not a big deal . I should have asked what exactly you are trying to do as far as syncing the phone? Is it just to move files back and forth (mass storage) or are you looking to sync contacts or programs as well (harder)?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

mass storage/sync all of it.

that's what the software is supposed to do, but XP is not recognizing the software

Did you make sure you downloaded both the PC Sync software and the Driver? Here is the link for the driver directly from Samsung (same file I tried to send earlier, just direct from their site.)

Note that you have to get both files, sounds like you have the Studio but skipped the driver which is the first file. Go to this link and to Downloads....the first one is the driver

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/detail/supportPrdDetail.do?menu=SP02&prd_ia_cd=01010100&prd_mdl_cd=SGH-A687ZPAATT&prd_mdl_name=SGH-A687&prd_ia_sub_class_cd=P
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
followed what you had me download, I get "USB Device Not Recognized" error in Windows
Ok, this is going to sound weird, but have you shit your computer down since you tried to istall your phone?

If not, shut your computer totally off, unplug it as well, wait 2 or 3 minutes, turn it back on and see if you get the same error.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok, shutting down ....but you ought to look at your last comment...lol...
Ha! Sorry about that!!! Shut I MEANT!!!

If that does not work, go into control panel, then to device manager. Do you show any of the little Exclamation marks there (referencing your plugged in USB cable to your phone)? Or is it just not recognizing it at all?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Not recognized at all. I looked in C:\Program Files\Samsung\USB Drivers and my phone isn't even listed in the available driver folders that were installed by that file that was at their web site that you'd pointed out that I needed.

It's like they haven't updated their own software.

Yikes, I am sorry, I am out of ideas. I am going to opt out of this and let some of the other experts take a crack at it! Sorry I couldnt fix it and good luck!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks...I'm at a loss as to why it says to download that driver file, yet it doesn't include any USB drivers for the phone. It lists all kinds of phones in that folder that I've never heard of before.
Yeah, this is a hard one. It is almost more of a computer questions and I am a iPhone guy mainly. There are some others in here who are REALLy good though, I hope one of them can help!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Simmental
Siberian
Swallowtail
semesyite
Sloan
spencer
schorl
empchipset
hsp
hsp_plus_default
Symbian_usb_download_driver
symbian_samsung_pc_dlc_driver
shrewbury
emp_chipset2
zinia_serial_driver
via_driver
NXP_Driver
Searsburg
Wlbro_Wlmax

Expert:  Daniel P. replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your patience.

Let me see if I can be of any assistance.

Here's what I would try:

STEP ONE: Disable Bluetooth

\Menu > Settings > Connectivity > Bluetooth > Bluetooth On
The device should state "Bluetooth Deactivated"

STEP TWO: Enable PC Studio/Modem Mode On Handset & Verify Data Cable Part Number

Path to change Port Mapping:

Menu > Settings > Connectivity > Select USB Mode

Port Mapping Options:

Music Player, Mass Storage, PC Studio

Port Mapping Required For New PC Studio:

PC Studio

Data Cable Part Number:

APCBU110BBE (Cable is not provided in box)

STEP THREE: Terminate & Reestablish Connection

1) Locate the New PC Studio icon loaded in the system tray and click on the New PC Studio icon

2) Select "Close Device connection monitoring"

3) Restart New PC Studio

STEP FOUR: Verifying x32bit Operating System Architecture

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
  2. Type in sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
  3. Click the General tab. The operating system is displayed as listed:
    • x64 version Operating System: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Version appears under System.
    • x32 version Operating System: Windows XP Professional Version appears under System.

If you have a PC with operating on x64, this is unfortunately unsupported by Samsung. As a last resort, you could attempt to force the application to load into a Compatiability mode to see then if New PC Studio can detect the mobile phone.

Try this out and see what you get.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have a Charge + Sync Cable from Fuse that I'm using. It IS charging the phone via the USB port.

I have XP Home SP3 on here, so that's 32 bit.

Other than what I've just said to you...it didn't work. I'm going to bed...evidently this is a problem with Samsung's software not providing the right drivers for XP

Expert:  Daniel P. replied 6 years ago.

Alright, just one last note, however.

Just because the phone is charging, doesn't mean that the cable is a proper sync cable. A synch cable for the Fuze may not be the correct cable for the Strive. We sell quite a few cables at our store that all have the same charging tip, and will charge several different phones, but won't sync but one particular model. I would get a hold of a specific Strive sync cable and at least eliminate that option before getting frustrated any further =D

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I'm looking at one on Amazon.com

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003DRMAYG/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A3UW6FFMODPQYZ

what do you think of this one?

Expert:  Daniel P. replied 6 years ago.

I would probably look into something more like this:

http://www.bargaincell.com/-usb-data-cable-wcd-p-24957.html

The Amazon is lower prices (By 2 bucks after shipping or so), but this one specifically states the use you can have from the cable, plus you get the software with it.

I'd pay the 2 extra bucks and go with bargaincell.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I found an OEM cable...it's on it's way. Once I get it here. I'll continue with this if it's ok with you....
Expert:  Daniel P. replied 6 years ago.

Sure, no problem