Joe
Joe, Cell Phone Technician
Experience:  Electronics has been my highest study connections and repair
20508815

My samsung impressions touchscreen has frozen up. Havent

Customer Question

My samsung impression's touchscreen has frozen up. Haven't had the phone for more than 8 mos. WHAT DO I DO? This phone wasn't cheap!
Category: Cell Phones
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hi, usually a hard reset will clear up problems like this. To do a hard reset, remove the back battery cover, and then the battery. Wait about 5 seconds and then reinsert the battery and install the battery cover. The phone should start automatically within 10 seconds. If not, go ahead and push the power button to turn it back on. That should get your touchscreen unfrozen. Let me know if you still have problems.

Regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No dice....didnt work
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
What happend? The screen had to turn off when you removed the battery. What happend when you reinserted the battery? What is on the screen now? Do any of the physical buttons do anything?

Edited by Mike Pettinato on 4/23/2010 at 2:56 AM EST
Expert:  Joe replied 4 years ago.

Actually a very common problem with samsung touch screen phones is the touch screens go bad and the impression is at the top of the list just below the eternity, botXXXXX XXXXXne the phone has a 1 year manuafctures warranty on it and as long as you did not get it wet then do not call the manufacture but instead call your service provider explain to them you have already tried everything but the phone is defective and you want a replacement "under factory warranty" they will then iniciate a claim and send you out a new impression phone that will arrive within 4 days usually 2 days and its in your hands.

As I explained call your service provider and not the manufacture as your service provider is the one that will take care of a replacement phone for you.

If you need further assistance I will be glad to help you.

Thanks,

Joe

Edited by ALL AROUND TECH on 4/23/2010 at 3:50 AM EST
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Calling the manufacturer may be the only solution, but also should be a last resort. It's a good idea to do some troubleshooting first so you don't get hit with a large bill if it turns out the phone works when you send it in. So we can check things out if you can provide some additional details about what happened. I don't want to see you hit with a large bill for having a replacement phone sent out when it may not be necessary.

Expert:  Joe replied 4 years ago.

No I am sorry but removing the battery will not preform a reset that would cure a touch screen problem on this model and to preform a hard reset the touchscreen would need to be working, there is nothing more a customer can do at this point. Please do NOT contact the manufacture, instead contact your "service provider" for instance att wireless at

Customer Service
1-800-331-0500 or 611 from your wireless phone

Then explain to them the phones problem they will then confirm your iemi number and that the box in near the battery does not indicate water damage, explain to them that the phone is defective and you need it replaced under the factory warranty. There will be no cost unless you dropped the phone or you damaged it like water if you have taken care of the phone then it will be completly covered under the factory 1 year warranty and they will ship you out a new phone usually that same day and they tell you up to like 5 days but you will usually get it in 2 days(business days of coarse)

If you need further assistance I will be more then glad to help you,.

Thanks,

Joe

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry, but it's common knowledge that resetting the phone does correct frozen screen problems. This is very common with all phones. Please refrain from telling the customer to call the manufacturer until I've had the opportunity to walk the customer through troubleshooting. Customers can get "call the manufacturer advice" for free anywhere on the net.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did exactly what you said. Took out battery for five seconds and then put it back in. Phone did NOT come back on. When I did turn it back on,it was still frozen. I bought this phone outright at Radio Shack. My company would not upgrade me so I did it myself.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the additional information. But what is on the screen now? Can you see anything on the screen, but it just won't accept your taps? Can you see the phone booting up on the screen, but again, once the phone is booted the screen just won't accept taps or presses? Do any of the hardware buttons or keyboard work?

Edited by Mike on 4/23/2010 at 2:50 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The phone boots like normal. I can make calls and receive calls. The screen will not respond to any taps at all.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
I see... that does indeed verify that the touch screen is faulty and I'm afraid it's not going to be user replaceable/repairable. The good thing is, as the other expert suggested, the phone does have a one year warranty so you shouldn't have any problems obtaining a replacement. This is a very common problem and while I could have easily suggested you obtain a replacement, I prefer to verify (which is verified by the phone working normally except for the touchscreen registering taps/presses). This is definitely a hardware problem and will need to be repaired/replaced by the manufacturer. Your service provider will usually handle this part of the transaction for you. Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with regarding this issue.

Regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Will they replace the phone all together or just the touchscreen?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
They'll replace the phone itself. They'll usually say "repair" or "send in for repair" but when it the transaction actually happens, they'll say that they are just going to go ahead and do a replacement phone. I can't recall a time when an actual "repair" was done on a cell phone. It's cheaper for them, and more convenient for everyone usually, to just replace the phone.

Regards,

Expert:  Joe replied 4 years ago.

Hello again,

All you will need to do as I was explaining before is contact your service provider and explain to them as I explained above they will then send you out a new replacement phone that you will usually receive within 3 days. There was no reason to try anything else on the phone because once the touchscreen fails there is nothing more that can be done, but the good news as I explained on 4/22 is you will get a replacement by contacting your service provider and tell them the phone is defective and you need it replaced under the factory warranty, do not even mention an insurance claim only factory warranty coverage.

Thanks,

Joe

Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Joe replied 4 years ago.

I am sorry your time has been wasted for another 4 days on here, once the touchscreen no longer works there was nothing more to be done, I was trying to help 4 days ago to get you a replacement faster, Please follow the steps I have listed exactly as I explained them and you will have a replacement phone within a few days.

Thanks again,

Joe

Edited by ALL AROUND TECH on 4/27/2010 at 5:04 AM EST
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
They will replace the phone. I apologize for the seemingly unprofessional attitude of some of the other experts on this site and hope that is does not leave a bad opinion of our service. Thanks for using Just Answer!
Expert:  Joe replied 4 years ago.
Please ignore both of us and follow exactly as I explained, I am going to request a refund for you because of this other expert wasting your time, sorry.