Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat has an open wound and it appears to be getting

Customer Question

My cat has an open wound and it appears to be getting infected. He is a barn cat and does not go into a crate well. Besides the local vet is closed today.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your cat bleeding a lot?
Customer: He is not bleeding. There is a hole in the skin and you can see the inside tissue.
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Mason about 2 I think. He wandered up and we feed him. Very loving as long as his feet are on the ground.
JA: How old is Mason?
Customer: 2 years old maybe
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mason?
Customer: no fleas, otherwise he looks good. He has a couple of these wounds.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 12 days ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

These wounds in barn cats are invariably bite wound abscesses that have ruptured. It's best to have a vet debride them (remove devitalized tissue), flush them with an antimicrobial solution such as chlorhexidine, leave them open to drain, and then prescribe a systemic antibiotic to be given twice daily or inject a long-acting antibiotic so you wouldn't have to dose Mason after he returned home. These don't represent an urgent matter. Tomorrow is soon enough to have Mason attended to. Regretfully, you won't be able to attend to these wounds without a vet's attention. These cats are sedated to be worked on as those areas are painful. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
thank you. Your answer if very common sense, but I have a problem with Mason since I can't get him into a pet taxi to take him to a vet. The wounds are being cleaned but we have to do it on his terms. I need an antibiotic to give him. Besides I just lost a lot of income and can't afford the office visit and billing.

I understand. Regretfully, we're not allowed to prescribe through this venue. You can purchase injectable penicillin G in a feed store, however. You would need to inject Mason subcutaneously with 10,000 IU per pound of body weight daily for at least a week. Needless to say, you would need help and a blanket to wrap him up in to inject him without his hurting you.