Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My kitten is pawing at her mouth like she has something

Customer Question

Hi, my kitten is pawing at her mouth like she has something stuck in there but I don't see anything. She has been doing this all day
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Motley
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Motley?
Customer: No she is acting normal just pawing at her mouth
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 9 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 25 years of experience as a veterinarian.

I am sorry to hear that your kitten has been intermittently pawing at her mouth all day.

I understand that you have looked inside her mouth but are unable to see anything amiss.

When they behave that way that generally means mouth pain or nausea or that there is a foreign body stuck in the back or her throat, between teeth, in the nasopharynx or on the roof of her mouth. If it is up behind her soft palate you won't be able to see anything, and she would still be able to eat and drink normally.

Because this came on suddenly and it is persisting I do think a quick trip to her vet to check her mouth, throat and pharynx is the way to go.

I had a kitten with a needle stuck in the back of her throat/pharynx area. Because her owners had her seen quickly we were able to get it out.

Best of luck with your little one.