Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Please help me asap! My 13 yr old male neutered cat was

Customer Question

Please help me asap! My 13 yr old male neutered cat was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism last year. He is on a special low iodine diet which is our last hope of helping him (other options aren't good) I have 3 other cats my 13yr has gotten along with - a 1 1/2 yr old male neutered cat, and 2 females, neutered, 1 yr old. Jake (13 yr old) was fine until yesterday - he is now aggressive/hissing at all the other cats, keeping them away from him. What can I do about this and why is this happening?
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 days ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 7 days ago.

I am sorry to hear Jake is hyperthyroid, and now is acting aggressive and hissing at the other cats.

I see he was diagnosed last year, and is on the Y/D diet (is that the low iodine diet he is getting?). Has he had a blood test since last year, to check to see if his hyperthyroidism is controlled?

If his thyroid is still high, he could have high blood pressure which can cause behavior changes in cats. He may be painful; cats in pain want to be left alone and will suddenly be unfriendly to cats they normally get along with. Having his blood pressure checked, his thyroid level measured, and a thorough physical exam would be what I would do if he were mine if these have not been done recently.

Is Jake eating? Any vomiting? Has he lost or gained weight since starting on the low iodine diet?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 days ago.

I have not heard back from you; I hope you were able to see my responses.

Please let me know if my answer was helpful and how Jake is doing. If you have more questions please let me know.