Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My cats eye is swollen and is oozing goopy liquid from it. I

Customer Question

My cats eye is swollen and is oozing goopy liquid from it. I wasn't able to get an appointment for her until Monday. Is there anyway I can help give her some relief until then?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. How old is eye?
Customer: Her eye has only been swollen for about a day, its not swollen shut but its visibly bigger than the other eye
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about eye?
Customer: not that i am aware of
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 days ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. What is your girl's name? How old is she? Is she still eating and drinking? Is she squinting with that eye? I want to clarify something - you can't get her to the vet till Monday or they just couldn't "fit" her in their schedule till Monday?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Her name is ***** ***** they told me they were completely booked until Monday and cannot fit her in. She is 3 and she is still eating and drinking. She is squinting some of the time but other times she will have it completely open.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 days ago.

Ok. Eyes are always the thing that I don't like to wait on. Could this be some simple flair up of an ocular herpes infection or some other simple bacterial conjunctivitis that needs time and possible topical therapy to treat? Could it be something more serious where an ulcer is present that needs more emergent care? I will say that this isn't something that would necessarily take a very prolonged visit at your vet to determine what is going on and then what therapy is needed. Ideally it is seen sooner than later because if there is an ulcer, it could get worse. Unfortunately there isn't really anything you can rally do at home to give her relief from this. The best thing you can do at home is to call them again and see if they can get her in tomorrow. You could also see if another clinic can get her in if they can't. Again, hopefully this is a simple viral / bacterial infection that isn't going to be an emergency situation, but I have seen those cases at my ER where ulcers were there that needed more emergent care.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you so much for your help! I am a new cat owner, I have only ever owned dogs, so this is definitely new territory.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 days ago.

Chances are good if you have recently acquired her, she has had a flare up of a latent herpes virus infection. Stress on the body can cause flare ups. Here is a link on it.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1327

I'm hoping for the best for her. You'll do great being a new cat owner!