Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat was diagnosed with coiccia and was given baycox..its

Customer Question

Hi! my cat was diagnosed with coiccia and was given baycox..its been 3 days now on meds but i realized he isnt eating much at all and as been pooping only once i now hear him wheezing and gagging
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Cats have coughing problems all the time but it is worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Pebbles
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pebbles?
Customer: hes 2 years old..a scottish fold and weights 4.8 kg
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now if he is only passing stool once a day, that is fine and may just be a bit reduced since if he has recently had diarrhea with the coccidia. Though what is a concern is his appetite loss and gagging, as this suggests that he has some nausea from the Baycox. Therefore, we'd want to try to address that for Pebbles. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option. Examples of an easily digestible diet include boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. As well, since he has some nausea, we could also treat with an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) to counter that. We'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any other medications you haven't mentioned. Of course, if his signs linger despite the above then we'd need to have his vet dispense stronger anti-nausea medication +/- appetite stimulants. Else we may need them to use an alternative coccidia medication that Pebbles may tolerate better.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
His stool is still runny just like before the meds..i have been told that it would be worse before it gets better..i shall wait till the end of his meds course, which is on Saturday and double check everything with the vet..i am just concerend with the gaggign and wheezing as he has never done that before. i am told the baycox is bitter and would mix it with a sweet juice ( watermelon) but he hasnt eaten after it at all. my other cat would take the med and then after 10 15 minutes eat. shes eating good and having frequent trips to the litter box as well, though still runny stool. if i hold Pebbles like a baby ( his back on my hand) he would start gagging.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 days ago.

Hello again,

It can sometimes take time to get the stools back to normal since the coccidia tend to damage/inflame the wall, but the nausea/appetite loss is more suggestive of the drug irritating the stomach. So, that is fine to continue but consider the antacid to ease that upset since Pebbles sounds to be more sensitive then your other cat. As well, if he is very loose you could add a spoonful of canned pumpkin or mix 0.25tsp Metamucil into canned food to help give his stools more form as you treatment.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.