Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

She has been visiting the litter box every few minutes. She

Customer Question

She has been visiting the litter box every few minutes. She just tried to urinate on my bed clothes and she is crying at me.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Honey Bear 4.5
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Honey Bear?
Customer: She looks like she has gained weight. I was away and came back on Monday eve. She looks larger.
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she been showing signs?

Can she pass any urine at all? When did she last do so?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Since I got home this evening, 3 hours. But, her cat box had a strong urine smell like I have never smelled. She has passed urine about ten min. ago. Her lips are black colored. No tenderness.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 days ago.

Hello again,

Now based on Honey Bear's signs, we'd be very suspicious that you are seeing a urinary tract infection (UTI). Less common causes for these signs would be issues like bladder stones, urinary crystals, and tumors (less likely at her age). They can come on very quickly and often we see frequent visits to the litter box, going in odd places, restlessness, and overgrooming of the genitals (since they are sore) and changes to urine odor/color (from the bacteria).

To give Honey Bear some relief at the moment, you can try to get her to drink more if possible (which can be hard to get a cat to do). You can also offer her low-sodium chicken broth or cat milk to encourage drinking. As well, aloe vera berry juice (available at health food stores) can be helpful in changing the urine pH and making the bladder more comfortable. Along with this, I usually advise upping their wet food portion of her diet, as this is 35% water and will sneak some water into her system.

While urine dilution will help flush out bacteria and hopefully get her a wee bit of relief, it is unlikely that this alone will clear the more severe bladder infections. Therefore, I would advise that it is prudent for her to see her vet. This would not be considered an emergency situation but is urgent because this will be very uncomfortable for her. If you can, do try to collect a urine sample (that can be a challenge since she is only producing small volumes). When you see her vet, they will be able to analyze the sample, determine if there are bacteria and white blood cells present (signs of infection), and rule out other issues like crystals or glucose (a marker of diabetes).

Overall, Honey Bear 's signs are very suspicious of a bladder infection. Therefore, I would advise trying to increase her hydration at the moment but keep in mind that if this is a bacterial cystitis then a broad spectrum antibiotic and feline friendly pain relief to make her comfortable and clear the infection would be warranted to clear this for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I love the "wee" bit of relief. Thank you, ***** ***** see her vet tomorrow.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 days ago.

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

I am afraid its a habit when I talk that seems to sneak into type (though based in Scotland its not all that uncommon) :)

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.