Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat sterling is 1 1/2 years old on Monday evening we

hello my cat sterling is 1 1/2 years old on Monday evening we think he drank some rubbing alcohol since then he was throwing up he stopped throwing up but is not eating drinking or going to the bathroom. I have been giving him water and Pedialyte through a syringe he just lays around he does move from here to there but that's it. I can afford to take him to the vet right now is there anything else I can do to help him recover???
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about sterling?
Customer: No

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What is he bringing up in his vomit?

Can he keep any of that Pedialyte down?

When did he last pass urine? Is he straining like he needs to?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
He hasn't throw up today, last time was a little bit last night it is a clear yellow light brown color. He hasn't thrown up the pedialyte yet. Last time he used the bathroom was Monday and showing no signs he needs to go. His gums are light pink and white color it seems moist. And I pressed on his belly seems bloated but he does nothing when I press.

Hello again,

Now I am glad to hear that he hasn't those urgent signs I asked about, but we need to keep a very close eye on his urination. Bladder blockages in male cats is often an emergency issue. So, we do need to tread with care for that. Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** appetite loss this will be from the same nausea that was making him vomit. And if he drank rubbing alcohol that could set this off, but of course we can see this with bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, or parasites/protozoa infections as well.

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest his stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating him an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid),,Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if he cannot keep it down due to nausea, that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Afterwards, we'd want to start small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the upset gut; which means more nutrients and less GI upset. Or if he cannot be tempted but we haven't any more vomiting, we can offer or syringe feed watered down kitten food, Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, or Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet. All of these are calorically dense, so a little goes a long way nutrition-wise. And in regards ***** ***** Pedialyte, do be aware that he needs a daily total of 48ml per kilogram of his body weight to head off dehydration.

And in regards ***** ***** for that, further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, we do need to be very careful for your lad. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle his stomach. If he cannot pass urine or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get a local vet involved to assess him and start treatment to get him settled here. Finally, I wanted to note that if funds are a concern, there is help if we cannot get him settled. First, if you have a VCA or Banfield veterinary hospital near you, then you might consider taking advantage of their free first consult offers. You can find vouchers for this via VCA: (http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer) & Banfield : (http://www.banfield.com/landing-pages/coupon). Otherwise, you could consider checking out the Humane Society's database (http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html). They have a lot of branches nationwide, along with ties to other assistance organizations that can keep down costs and surely will be willing to help.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you for help, I will try and look into all the above you mentioned and hope and pray he will get better soon.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Please take care & best wishes,

Dr.B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.