Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

She has been vomiting bile for 24 hours and there appears to

She has been vomiting bile for 24 hours and there appears to be bright red blood in it. she is drinking water but will not eat.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: not that I am aware of. she was being raw fed (as are all the animals in the house) but I noticed that she was starting the go off her food recently. I was considering a diet change when this started.
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Willow, age 5
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Willow?
Customer: she is not spayed. not sure if that matters? otherwise no i dont think so

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. Just ignore it. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

How often has she vomited?

Any diarrhea?

How much time does she spend outside?

Anything else she could have gotten into?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
She has vomited about 5-7 times...I find a few piles of it at once so I am not sure if it is all from one vomit session or from different sessions.
I have not noticed any diarrhea and she has never been outside. She lives indoors.
I am currently packing up as I am moving in a month so she has been having a hayday playing in boxes and paper. She likes to eat plastic but I do my best to keep it away from her as it is obviously not good for her. As everything is a bit of a mess right now there is always a possibility that she could have found something but I don't know what it would be.

Thanks for the information. The blood in the vomit may just be due to stomach or esophageal irritation from chronic vomiting, but it could also be caused by something stuck in her stomach or something that caused some damage to her stomach. Most likely not a parasitic thing if indoor only, nor a tumor or metabolic issue (i.e.; kidney, liver, pancreas, etc) due to her age, but anything is possible. The blood in the vomit always raises enough concerns to have a vet check it out because it could be something serious. I would want to get some blood work and x-rays on her abdomen. At the very least, I would have her on something for nausea, fluids under the skin and something to protect the stomach. Pepcid is usually safe to give to cats at 2.5 mg per 5-10 lbs of body weight daily, but she may need more supportive care in this instance. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Pepcid can be purchased OTC? Should I be concerned about her not eating? Anything I can try at home to get her to eat before she starts to have other problems?

Yes, Pepcid is an OTC product. You can just use the generic product as well (famotidine). You can try any type of canned food and warming it up in the microwave for a very short while. Try some canned tuna or salmon as well. If cats don't eat for more than 72 hours, though, they are prone to a serious liver condition called hepatic lipidosis, which can be worse than the initial cause of the anorexia. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
thank you for the help. I'll see what I can do and bring her in to a vet if no improvements

You are very welcome. Let me know if you have further concerns.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
sorry...one last question...should the pepcid be given in 1 dosage per day or should it be split up 2x daily?

No problem. I usually do one dosage per day with cats. It is easier that way, but it can be split to twice daily. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Thank you so much!

You are very welcome.