Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My !5 year old cat will not eat....Her blood work is fine

Hi My !5 year old cat will not eat....Her blood work is fine she is scheduled for an ultrasound
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Jade she is 15 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jade?
Customer: Her B12 levels are low

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Did you mean she is 15?

What treatment is she on just now?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Has her vet ruled out any soreness (ie dental disease, ulcers, tumors) in her mouth?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
She's 15 She is taking B12 shots. I gave her Cerenia this morning. She is not gagging drooling or vomiting...
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
She is acting normal otherwise
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hello are you still available?

Hello again,

Now I am glad to hear that you are having an ultrasound done for Jade.

When we see elderly cats off food, its often related to oral discomfort (hopefully your vet has excluded that), systemic/organ issues (less likely with the bloods being normal), related to underlying nausea (even without vomiting but we'd hope the Cerenia would counter that), or related to disease involving the GI or associated organs (ie IBD, GI lymophoma, pancreatitis,) itself. And the latter is a concern if her B12 is low. Though again it sounds like her treatments have been appropriate at this point and that you are taking the right steps here. That said, if there is any delay in that ultrasound, consider ringing her vet for an alternative anti-nausea medication (ie Zofran, Metoclopramide) to be sure that nausea is adequate managed but also an appetite stimulant (ie Mirtazapine). As well, since she isn't actively vomiting, we'd want to be offering or syringe feeding watered down canned kitten food, Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, or Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet. All of these are calorically dense, so a little goes a long way nutrition-wise and will get some food into her while we work to get to the heart of this for her. And that would be ideal at this stage since the longer Jade is off food, then more risk of secondary liver compromise.

So, yes I am still here but have been typing my reply for you on how to approach this for Jade.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you Dr. B I will call my Vet about the alternative medication....

You are very welcome, my dear,

That sounds like a good plan of action. :)

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.