Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Cut my cat with scissors while cutting off matted fur -

Cut my cat with scissors while cutting off matted fur - little to no blood. I cleaned with clear water then put a bit of antibiotic salve. Is the antibiotic salve poisonous?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what your cat ate?
Customer: I put antibiotic cream on the wound. I do not believe my cat has licked this spot. Is antibiotic cream poisonous to cats?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?
Customer: The wound is covered by skin but a layer was removed with the matt. The area without fur is the size of a dime.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- What is the name of the antibiotic?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
CVS antibiotic ointment original strenght. Bacitracin zinc- neomycin sulfate - polymyxin b sulfate
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
The phone is a land line. Please call - do not text.

The topical antibiotic you listed is not toxic to cats. This is what you can do until he is seen by your veterinarian:

1- Do not let him lick the wound. Pick up an E collar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing the affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Dilute 1-2 tablespoon for every cup of water. Use this mixture to flush the wound 2-3 times a day.

3- After flushing affected area as above apply the topical antibiotic you have on hand. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter