Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I suspect that one of my cats has worms. I have seen little

I suspect that one of my cats has worms. I have seen little segments in one. Will that mean that all seven that I currently own will have them or need to be treated?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations cats can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Spring is a one year old female.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Spring?
Customer: I do not see any other symptons, she eats well, drinks water, and is energetic and relatively social, although she was brought in as a feral kitten, I have had her for about 7 months.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

If you are seeing worm segments (a feature of tapeworms), then it does suggest that all cats may be carrying this parasite. They can be contracted by ingesting infected fleas (which if one is on contact, all are) but also from the eggs in those segments being shed into the communal space and cats ingesting them (ie off their paws, coats, etc). Therefore, it is advisable to treat them all at this point with a good quality OTC wormer (ie Praziquantel) that covers for tapeworms. Furthermore, if there are any issues with fleas here, then we'd be best to treat for those as well to ensure no risk of re-infection after worming.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you!: )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.