Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My cat was an indoor cat for the first 6 years of her life.

My cat was an indoor cat for the first 6 years of her life. For the last 6 years she has been an indoor/outdoor cat. My new neighbor has 8 cats who are outdoor cats. Now my cat only want to come in to eat then immediately she she request to go outside, staying outside overnight.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your cat?
Customer: My cat was an indoor cat for the first 6 years of her life. For the last 6 years she has been an indoor/outdoor cat. My new neighbor has 8 cats who are outdoor cats. Now my cat only want to come in to eat then immediately she request to go outside, staying outside overnight.
JA: Where does your cat seem to hurt?
Customer: My cat was an indoor cat for the first 6 years of her life. For the last 6 years she has been an indoor/outdoor cat. My new neighbor has 8 cats who are outdoor cats. Now my cat only want to come in to eat then immediately she she request to go outside, staying outside overnight.
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: No, when I first got her as a kitten, she had been born outside.
JA: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is your kitten eating normally?
Customer: Yes, my cat is eating normally. She no longer want to stay inside.
JA: OK. No appetite problems. Is this new behavior?
Customer: Yes, for the last month. My new neighbor has 8 cats that basically stay outside. I believe my cat learned this behavior from the new cats.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Diamond
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Diamond?
Customer: Just that, as I stated before, she was an indoor cat for the first 6 years of her life then my husband started letting her go outside 6 years ago because Diamond wanted to go out. However, she would come inside throughout the day and never stay out overnight. That has changed, she only stay in long enough to eat.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Diamond. I see she is going outside and not coming home much, and that you suspect it has to do with your neighbor's 8 outdoor cats. What is your question: Do you want her to stay home more? Do you want to know why she is doing this? Are you worried this will harm her?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Diamond, basically stays on the deck in our backyard. I don't understand why she no longer want to stay in the house. I want to know why she is doing this. I am not worried this will harm her. In the past she would want to come in the house every few minutes. Now, she's in the house long enough to eat.

It is possible that she has become "friends" with your neighbors cats and is enjoying playing, or socializing with them. It is also possible she is even going into their house when the neighbor lets her cats inside. I had a cat that did this suddenly, started staying away for days and then weeks at a time.

Back then I did not have access to tiny cameras, radio collars etc. Some people in this situation do put a collar on so they can track the cat, or with a camera so they can see where the cat is going.

You can ask your neighbor with all the cats if they see her socializing with their cats, or if she has come into their house. If she has access to food there, that might be something that is drawing her away from your house.

Let me know if I can answer anything else and how she is doing.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you for your answer. Her cats come into my yard daily. You have a good point, this most likely is about friendship.

Thanks for the great rating.

Hi Carolyn,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?